24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus
View Poll Results: What turbo are you using or plan to use and why?
BD Super B
4.62%
BD Super B Special
3.08%
BD Super B Twins
3.08%
Aurora Single
1.54%
Aurora Twins
0%
Phat Shaft
10.77%
Garrett
4.62%
Borg Warner
4.62%
Stock
50.77%
Other (specify)
16.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Which Turbo(s) Are You Using?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Which Turbo(s) Are You Using?

This should be a great poll to the never ending debate on what turbo(s) you are running and why you prefer it/them?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts

yeah this should be interesting, to say the least. i'm still on my stocker. not sure if i'll ever need to upgrade.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

HTB2 62/12 from HTT b/c I couldnt afford the BD twins kit at the time and I was wanting a bit bigger bottom turbo. Dave do you guys sell a bigger charger and piping to go with what i already have?

Last edited by 2141pete; 08-28-2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: I am silly
Old 08-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2141pete
HTB2 62/12 from HTT b/c I couldnt afford the BD twins kit at the time and I was wanting a bit bigger bottom turbo. Dave do you guys sell a bigger charger and piping to go with what i already have?
I can relate to cost restrictions, the HTB turbo is a inexpensive turbo that works okay and is why you see so many of them out there.

Sorry but unfortunately we do not supply any piping or turbos to support any other twin kits other the Super B's, they have been engineered to work in a BD Twins kit. We try to avoid mix matching turbos to avoid problems associated with that. For example when putting two turbos together with out fully testing them you run into the problem of "what works on one truck may not work on another" that's why you are face with you dilemma of which other turbo to run in your particular set up, you are left guessing or taking someones opinion from what works on their truck but may not work on yours. Don't get me wrong there is lots of home made twin kits that work great on one mans truck that are based off the HTB's but from a manufactures stand point we need to design a kit that works for every ones rig. This is why Borg Warner and BD got together and spent 2 years developing a twin kit that would work on a broad range of power and applications and came up with the Super Twins. We tested hundreds of different configurations to come up with a kit that would be efficient for everyone from the 450HP guys right up to the 700HP guys, for towing, racing, sled pulling etc... The initial cost for hardware may be more but if you consider what you get minus the guess work is really is a good value backe my a manufactures warranty. We even took into consideration that some/most will have to build there truck over time and can not go right to a twin kit, so we engineered the Super B Single to be able to be upgraded to twins. The Super B Single is one of the turbos out of the twin kit so if you had the single you could upgrade to twins at a later date.

Currently we are working on a Super B Special Twins for the 700 plus guys, should be ready to ship in a few months, very excited about that.

Oh ya did I mention we also have a polished twin kit NOW available!

Last edited by BDPowerDave; 08-28-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:49 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

I'm running stock. Why? Because it came with the truck and hasn't broke yet, there by giving me an excuse to upgrade.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nitelord
I'm running stock. Why? Because it came with the truck and hasn't broke yet, there by giving me an excuse to upgrade.
Good answer

You are extremely fortunate running that Race Comp Hot file and still keeping your factory turbo together, thats a HOT chip. What kind of boost do you push through it?

FYI the stock turbo will still "work" with that set up but is so far out of efficiency range that you are robbing yourself of ponies, what EGT's are you seeing under load?

If you are ever in the need for a replacement I offer Forum Member Discounts

Old 08-28-2007, 01:08 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by BDPowerDave
Good answer

You are extremely fortunate running that Race Comp Hot file and still keeping your factory turbo together, thats a HOT chip. What kind of boost do you push through it?

FYI the stock turbo will still "work" with that set up but is so far out of efficiency range that you are robbing yourself of ponies, what EGT's are you seeing under load?

If you are ever in the need for a replacement I offer Forum Member Discounts

Ok, now I'm interested. I'm still on the stock turbo with the drag Comp to. I drive by the boost guage when I'm gettin on it. I won't go over 32 pounds of boost myself and even that's rare. I also stop at 1000 degrees when I push it that far, since I installed the mega mouth on it though it's hard to even get that high now. But this also a farm truck that does a good amount pulling and right now I am weak in the low end power so spool up is a critical thing in my case, that's why I have stuck with the stock turbo for now.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
Ok, now I'm interested. I'm still on the stock turbo with the drag Comp to. I drive by the boost guage when I'm gettin on it. I won't go over 32 pounds of boost myself and even that's rare. I also stop at 1000 degrees when I push it that far, since I installed the mega mouth on it though it's hard to even get that high now. But this also a farm truck that does a good amount pulling and right now I am weak in the low end power so spool up is a critical thing in my case, that's why I have stuck with the stock turbo for now.

So what your telling me is that you can not use the power you have now in fear of over-spinning the turbo over 32 PSI and you are restricted to EGT's as well. That's what I meant by pushing that factory turbo out of its efficiency range. Running the turbo out of its efficiency range will over-spin the turbo causing a failure, also it will super heat the charge of air which expands the air restricting how much can actually be squeezed into the cylinders.

You are correct in saying that most larger turbos will hinder you spool up time and that is where the misconception lies. Bigger is not better, more efficient is what you want. The Super B single is based of a Borg Warner S300 using the extended fin tip technology. With out getting too technical what the extended fin tip technology allows us to do is design a turbo similar to the size of your factory turbo but achieve much higher top end performance. It gives you the best of both worlds, top end performance like a big turbo without sacrificing your spool up time. You may not see improved bottom end spool up times but you will not loose any spool up time like with a big turbo while still achieving big turbo numbers, cooler EGT's and more boost. Then if down the road you ever want to go to twins that option is still there.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:27 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Thanks for the info Dave. Twins are a pipe dream in my poor man's world but a nicer single would be great so that I wouldn't have to let off the go pedal so early. I always knew a bigger turbo was out so I have been waitin around for the variable geometry and compound type turbo's to get the kinks worked out and come down in price. It sounds like you may already be on track with what I'm lookin for though. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 492 Likes on 383 Posts

dave, do you guys sell/ reccomend a turbo upgrade kit if someone like dennis, and myself to an extent, are pushing the stocker to its limits. some places sell compressor wheel/housing kits. thoughts on this.

Quick Reply: Which Turbo(s) Are You Using?