24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

What does a map sensor do and what would be syptoms

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you do that

Old 01-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Turn the key on but do not start the truck. disconnect both battery and let it sit for an hour.
turn the key off and hook both batterys back up. Turn the key on but dont start the truck and push the gas pedal slowly all the way down and then let off slowly. Then turn your key back off.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

That's it what silverbang said

Old 01-27-2011, 08:32 PM
"Ohio Bombers" Director
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

When my MAP died it did NOT over fuel my truck it WAY under fueled it. I knew it was shot because when I heard the turbo making good boost and it was registering only 8psi (on my ADR which reads boost from MAP).... I knew that was wrong. The only way i would have ever known is because of the ADR!! If i had a standard boost gauge I would have seen REAL PSI off turbo and never known what the ECU was seeing!! Thats one bonus to tuners that read ECU data!

Old 12-26-2012, 12:45 AM

Silver bang does that reset work on a 08 dodge? My pickup runs ok but will just die! No cel nothing but, after the truck has been ran for a bit it stays running so im shootin for map sensor?

Old 10-21-2013, 01:44 AM

the only wireing issue i had with my apps after replacement was a torque converter unlocking and locking like a million times till u got up to 50 mph... after scratching my ***** about it for months i went on a blind shot and ordered an apps noise isolator from BDdiesel and man it made a world of difference for 35 bucks shipped (dont quote me on price but it is cheap) and very easy to install maybe that would fix your issue.... btw im no diesel mechanic but been working on myn for years now and u learn alot when u work on your own vehicle

Old 12-11-2015, 10:25 PM
Default Ever figure out the problem??

Originally Posted by 02 cummins
Is it possible to replace APPS and not erase the code and have still problems because you didnt erase the codes. Im shooting two codes and one was the map and the other is the Apps. So I replaced the APPS and problem still same. Limp mode throttle jumpy dead pedle. Then the throttle kicks in and out. even seems to stick a little once letting off. Totally stumped.
Hey 02 cummins have you figured out your problem yet with the 2 codes? . i have the same codes as you. and all the same symptoms.
Been stuck on this one for almost a week now. Still testing wires and checking ground. I had it working for about 3 minutes yesterday then went right back to the dead pedal mode where it only kicks on a 1/4 throttle.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks