Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

All of a sudden my cummins attempts to shift up and down between third and fourth when cruising between 40 and 45 mph on level ground. The shifting problem, at least for the time being, is slight. The vehicle travel doesn't seem to be affected, ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2009, 12:09 AM

Default erratic shifting 98 24v cummins Auto Transmission

All of a sudden my cummins attempts to shift up and down between third and fourth when cruising between 40 and 45 mph on level ground. The shifting problem, at least for the time being, is slight. The vehicle travel doesn't seem to be affected, and the only reason I notice it is that it makes the engine rev up and down (I can hear it and see it on my tac). The other puzzling thing is that most of the time the transmission seems normal. The odd shifting/revving seems to be more prevelant when the vehicle is cold, but then does it again intermittently well after the truck is warm. I checked the tranny fluid and the level is good and the fluid looks to be in good shape. Any ideas?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Troy Davis

tps more than likley

12vcummins96's Sig:

DIESEL BOMBERS ADMINISTRATOR

96 12v with LBDP 5x.014s Smokem Specials dual fed modded afc aeromotive fuel pressure regulator no plate 2095 rack plug Airdog 4ghd 63/68 .88 over a 76/85 24cm 46mm tial external gate bd cool down timer 5k gsk 60lb springs Ati Balancer ats arc flow Arps 21 degrees Kdp killed Isspro gauges built tranny 5 inch tb to a single 6 inc tip and a 125hp shot

They go wooooooossssssssshhhhhh the the truck goes VROOOOOOOOOMMMMM then the trans goes f* this
Old 11-26-2009, 12:56 AM

My truck is a 98.5 24v with a VP44 injection pump. Does it have a tps?

Last edited by hunter4snow; 11-26-2009 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: correct typo
Old 11-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Diesel Fan

tps is called the apps

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

mine does the samething since i added wheels and tires. Mine is just locking and unlocking in od, maybe that is what urs is doing. Same speed as your at.

jl99cummins's Sig:99 cummins some go fast goodies

Last edited by jl99cummins; 11-26-2009 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

all most 100% sure its your APPS mine did the same for a wile untill i replaced the whole thing.
1st scan for coads
if you get a p0216 and i beleave there is 2 others related to the apps thats your proplem
2nd if you do get coads dont try to adjust it, it will only get worse, I know and have seen it on others so leave it be till the new one gets there
3rd the best price Iv ever found is at ROCK AUTO its under emishion controle and is made by Air Tex(a good company) there way cheaper than the stealerships

ja-mudder's Sig:1999 Cumm'a'long AFE intake,hx35 w/ring MIA, Air dog 150, 1/2 fuel line, 275 RV, Edge Comp, ATS stage 3 trans w/billit, 4'' straight, Blue Chip X pump, AR 17'' rims, 35'' SST Swampers,Day lighters, and more
______**Join and Support Your Local OATH KEEPERS Keep America Free**__
___________________http://oathkeepers.org/oath/_________________________
Old 11-26-2009, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like it is likely the apps. I guess I'll scan for codes!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Diesel Wrench

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile

CHECK FOR GROUNDS MAKE SURE ALL GROUNDS ARE CONNECTED AND IN GOOD SHAPE!!!! sorry for the caps but my 99 did the exact same thing and i got a tps for it and it didnt fix the problem and then i got one of them DTT noise filters and it fixed it for a little bit then it started again i eventually found one of my ground wires wasnt even hooked up. also run a wire from one of the studs holdin your computer to the firewall to the ground side of your pass. battery. these trucks its all about grounds and that will cause it everytime. my 99 would shift in and out of lock-up CHECK GROUNDS! then go from there and welcome to diesel bombers!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:20 PM

Thank you very much. I will definitely start with checking the grounds! Thanks again!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Also if you have a bad battery it may cause that as well. Friend's truck did the exact same thing you are describing and ended up one of the batteries was bad. Truck would fire up fine, just a little slow but it didn't happen overnight so he was just used to it and never thought anything of it.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:08 PM

Thanks all for replying. I scanned my truck and I am getting a P 122 code (tps, low voltage input). I found some additional info from another thread on troubleshooting this code (TPS Error Code P0122). I think most likely I'll have to replace the apps. Will post again with the final result. Thanks again!!

Last edited by hunter4snow; 12-01-2009 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: additional info

submit to reddit