Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

The truck runs great and starts perfect when cool, but run it for a few minutes and it won't start once I shut it down. I have replaced 2 lift pumps, 2 injector pumps, MAP sensor, and fuel tank pick up and filter, the only ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2009, 10:32 AM

Default Cummins won't start when hot

The truck runs great and starts perfect when cool, but run it for a few minutes and it won't start once I shut it down.

I have replaced 2 lift pumps, 2 injector pumps, MAP sensor, and fuel tank pick up and filter, the only thing accomplished is messing up the fuel guage. Now I run out of fuel at a 1/2 tank.

A match and 20 gallons of gas are starting to sound good and cheaper.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:08 PM
BOMBARDIER

** Please post questions in the correct forum **

1) Do you have a fuel pressure guage - absolute must on a 24V. Truck shouldnt leave your driveway without it.

2) Stock lift pumps are junk - dont waste your money on them

3) Have you scanned for codes?

Dr. Evil's Sig:
98 12V quad cab 4X4 AND 2001 24V quad cab 4X4

SEEN IT ALL, DONE IT ALL, CAN'T REMEMBER MOST OF IT !
Old 11-09-2009, 02:12 PM

No guage, but will get one.
Code machine lights like a christmas tree, but did not get them from the mech
Old 11-09-2009, 02:13 PM
BOMBARDIER

Hard starts when warm are one of the classic signs of VP-44 failure. Notice and white smoke (when warm)??

Need codes if you are looking for advice. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Troy Davis

need to check fuel pressure

12vcummins96's Sig:

DIESEL BOMBERS ADMINISTRATOR

96 12v with LBDP 5x.014s Smokem Specials dual fed modded afc aeromotive fuel pressure regulator no plate 2095 rack plug Airdog 4ghd 63/68 .88 over a 76/85 24cm 46mm tial external gate bd cool down timer 5k gsk 60lb springs Ati Balancer ats arc flow Arps 21 degrees Kdp killed Isspro gauges built tranny 5 inch tb to a single 6 inc tip and a 125hp shot

They go wooooooossssssssshhhhhh the the truck goes VROOOOOOOOOMMMMM then the trans goes f* this
Old 11-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Diesel Fan

codes are going to be a must. it sounds like the vp has gone bad. throw the stock lift pump away and get an airdog and a pressure gauge.

nbaca's Sig:2001 Cummins/NV5600/Twins/200hp sticks/all supporting mods. Built with Diesel Auto Power products. Call Jacob at 1-951-377-4844

http://www.southwestcoalrollers.com/
Old 11-10-2009, 03:08 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Status: have too many projects unfinished but then again are they ever finished?

Hard hot starts are the classic 2nd step of the vp44 - first step stock lift pump fails then without pressure guage - the injector pump vp44 starts hard starting then soon wont start at all. Once you put on guage get an airdog or fass and you will be a happy man. BTW if you need to change out the vp44 (you will) I have the tool to remove it and will loan it too you if you promise to return it. It is really kinda fun to do but can be stressful too. Also the screen on the fuel tank pickup bottom is really restrictive - engineer something better- I used a much larger heavier duty screen after the aftermarket lift pump install.

mxtuner1's Sig:2006 Mega 5.9, Edge Juice w/Attitude+ HOT, add on pressure box, propane injection homemade, 98.5 24v mbrp 5in, ported turbo & BD ex man, propane inj, edge comp, autometer,40 horse vp44 Oregon FI, Billet low stall Redline convertor, Extra duty 47re with new steel input shaft, transfer tank 90 gallon in bed, homemade transmission cooler with added ats ddeep pan trans and cooler holds 7 gallons and 1 qt total amsoil synthetic atf
Old 11-12-2009, 12:08 PM

It was the VP44. Thanks all. I don't know why or how I got 2 bad ones in a row, but I know why I have a new mechanic.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Diesel Fan

good to hear. glad you got the beast running
Old 11-12-2009, 01:30 PM
BOMBARDIER

Did you order a fuel pressure guage?

submit to reddit