Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

Looking for some advice on how to diagnose this problem. I am cruising along at 70 mph/ 2200 rpm and I go to accelerate and the truck does not respond as I depress the accelerator - the truck does not decelerate but just maintains its ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2009, 08:44 PM

Default 2002 Dodge Ram 24 Valve Engine Problem

Looking for some advice on how to diagnose this problem. I am cruising along at 70 mph/ 2200 rpm and I go to accelerate and the truck does not respond as I depress the accelerator - the truck does not decelerate but just maintains its speed. The only way to get it to break out of this dead spot is to coast down to a slower speed so that I can shift it into 5th gear; this seems to free up whatever it is that is stuck since the rpms change and I can once again accelerate now in 5th gear and shift once again back into 6th gear and cruise away. This does not happen all the time - jsut about every third day that I use the truck. Any suggestions about what to look for would be gretly appreciated. Thanks
fredster
Old 07-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Diesel Fan

do you have an after market lift pump

stumpy's Sig:2002 cummins, juice/w attitude,150 hp injectors, fass 150, 4 inch straight pipe into 6in stack, goerend tranny
Old 07-24-2009, 10:18 AM

I do not believe so - just the stock pump attached to the engine. When I originally purchased the vehicle(this january) i read about the fuel pressure problems on line and the subsequent failures of the vp44 high pressure injection pumps - so bought a fuel pressure tester - screwed that onto the schraeder valve port and as i remember had about 6 lbs of pressure at 70 mph- i bought an in dash fuel pressure gauge from genos garage but have not yet installed . As astop gap measure I been running B20 fuel figuring the higher lubricity of the biodiesel componenet would keep the vp44 more lubricated so as to prevent failure - keeping my fingers crossed.
Fred
Old 07-24-2009, 10:35 AM
BOMBARDIER

You need to install that guage now Fred. And check codes.

Dr. Evil's Sig:
98 12V quad cab 4X4 AND 2001 24V quad cab 4X4

SEEN IT ALL, DONE IT ALL, CAN'T REMEMBER MOST OF IT !
Old 07-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Diesel Wrench

View Member's FaceBook Profile

I agree with Dr. Evil.

Marine's Sig:Mike

2001.5 2500 4x4 QC. GDP Walbro 392 pump, Adrenaline/Pulse, HTB2 62/13 SS, DDP 95 HP Injectors, HTT Pulse Manifold, BMK-11 Bypass, Amsoil throughout. NRA Member and Instructor.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Diesel Fan

Could be the APPS messing up also!! If you have a buddy with a scanner take him for a ride and have him read the throttle % and see if it is moving with your foot or just staying the same when your pumping the throttle.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Diesel Wrench

View Member's FaceBook Profile

Could be, but he doesn't mention it happening in all gears at the RPM. The fact that it is at 70 mph and that rpm leads me to think fuel.

Fredster....Does it do the same thing in any gear at 2200 RPM?
Old 07-24-2009, 12:59 PM
BOMBARDIER

i would lean towards the APPS to, if it was fuel i would think it would start missing and sputtering...but could be both you need to get that fuel pressure guage hooked up asap like said earlier

stkdram55's Sig:
Just an Inline 6 Cylinder

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you.....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier..
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Diesel Bomber

A good OBD2 scanner will tell you the % of throttle on it.At 72 mph it doesnt move in % up or down there is a problem.Do you take it up to 2200 rpm in every gear? APPS have been **** to dead spots in the rpm range that is driven regularly, and not show a code, just from experience here.

turbo20psi's Sig:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A little here a little there.

Diesel Dawgs Performance
Unleash the Dawg!!
828-399-1556
www.DieselDawgs.com

Last edited by turbo20psi; 07-24-2009 at 06:59 PM..
Old 07-27-2009, 08:21 AM

No, just seems to be that 6th gear

submit to reddit