24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

APPS and lock up issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default APPS and lock up issues

I reset the APPS a couple weeks ago using a volt meter. It was off, and i adjusted it to where it needed to be. Truck ran great up until yesterday It started to go in and out of lock up at highway speeds, and with the OD off button pushed it's so bad that I can't even drive it like that.
I had a P0122 code a couple weeks ago, which I cleared and then reset the APPS. No codes yet since.
Does this sound like classic APPS failure?
I'm familiar with all the ground issues these trucks have, so i've ruled that part out.
Thanks

Old 07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
TBD
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had a simmilar problem, i ran an external ground to the apps ground wire (black w/yellow tracer on an 02') and that fixed it.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I've run an extra ground from the APPS, and one from the PCM.
I have a DTT noise filter, I've zip tied the wire bundle up away from the alternator, and the
batteries are less than 2 years old (optima red tops). Cables are new.

I'm stumped at this point, and starting to think it's more than electrical, and may be the tranny starting to go south
The in-and-out of lock up seems to occur more frequently when i'm light on the throttle going into OD. When I lay into it, it doesn't do it as much.
This truck is really starting to **** me off now. Throw a code or break damnit

Old 07-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts

try a lock up switch and see how it works

Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 PM

i have the smae prob it seems like. my tranny guy says it is the tps i have a 2001 3/4 ton. mine does it when i am just cruzen and it just ***** into od then locks and un locks but it does not do it all the time and i have no codes so what i am saying is maybe the tps ?

Old 07-19-2009, 08:50 PM
TBD
Diesel Fan

it must be a harness/sensor problem b/c if it were a problem between the dodge computer and tranny it should go into limp mode and take of in high gear.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I disconnected the batteries last night and then unplugged the plugs at the PCM for ***** and giggles.
I then did an APPS reset using the skinny pedal method.
Truck ran great today
Stupid electronics

I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. I'm fairly certain it's an APPS issue, so in the mean time i'm going to isolate the APPS wires from the loom since i haven't done that, and then hope for an APPS code so I can throw a timbo apps in there.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 843 Likes on 695 Posts

Ive done all the tricks there are out there and nothing 100% fixed it except for the DTT Noise Filter.

Diesel Transmission Technology - DTT Performance Diesel Transmission and Power Accessories

NOISE FILTER KW5535

Old 07-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I've had the DTT noise filter on the truck for about 2 years. it worked great clearing up issues that i started to have back then. these recent issues have come and gone for the last several months. the added grounds to the pcm abd apps helped for awhile, but thats about it.
those noise filters dont go bad, do they?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine is doing the same thing i have unhooked the batteries and tried resetting it that a way.... but it worked for a day and back to the same thing.. a guy told me to separate the wires going from the appa to the ecm but that didnt help either.. so im having to order a new one..

Quick Reply: APPS and lock up issues