Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

I know I've seen a discussion on this, but I can't find it.. Apps sensor is only 3 months old. New oil and filter change last week. With the warmer weather came this problem with the tranny hunting gears mostly while in overdrive, but if ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Diesel Bomber

Send a message via Skype™ to Nitelord View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile

Default Trans is hunting gears.

I know I've seen a discussion on this, but I can't find it..

Apps sensor is only 3 months old. New oil and filter change last week.
With the warmer weather came this problem with the tranny hunting gears mostly while in overdrive, but if I turn the overdrive off it still does it.

It happens on the street, mostly when the engine is not under a load (just puttin' along).
While towing, it happens anytime I get off the pedal.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. I reset the Apps via the battery disconnect and the problem went away until the warm weather came in again. Any time it's over 60 deg. the problem is sure to occur.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Nitelord's Sig:MY RIDE: 05' Ford F350 XLT 4x4 diesel CC/sb Dually - MBRP 4" single exhaust, 2" leveling kit, Sno-way 29T, Husky 5th wheel slider & Prodigy controller.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Diesel Fan

If it's happening around 40ish mph, and what's happening feels at all like the torque converter is locking-unlockin-locking-unlocking...... check all your ground connections, consider wrapping the big wire from the alternator that dissapears under the passenger side battery with foil, and, worst case, make or buy an elecrical filter and install it (sorry, don't remember where it goes, but it's been covered on this forum or DTR before).
My '99 did it when I first got it. Disconnecting the batteries for a while and reconnecting them would fix it for a while, sometimes a couple days, sometimes a week, then it would start doing it again. Just disconnecting, cleaning, and reconnecting every wire that attached to the alternator (both ends of each, and any connectors in between) fixed it more permanently. It hasn't happened again in two years.
Good hunting.

Grider Pirate's Sig:1999 2500 2wd - Bone stock
2001 2500 4wd - ATS Trans and TC, 3.74 gears, '08 6.7l flex plate, FASS, BD Twins, Blue Chip VP44, Mach 1.5 injectors, pretty much everything Banks sells for it, Gauges, Mag-Hytec Trans pan and front/rear diff. covers, leveling kit, Bilstein shocks, '08 17" wheels, Alpine with big amp., upgraded speakers, etc. etc.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:09 AM
Diesel Fan

I had a problem with my old 01 that I no longer have thanks to a no good thief, but any how it ended up needing a update in the valve body and it never did it again. The auto matic woes are the reason my truck I have now has the six speed in it, plus I have more control over the engine when I tow.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Diesel Bomber

Send a message via Skype™ to Nitelord View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile

Thanks much. It gives me some way forward. I greatly appreciate the help...
Old 04-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to DB Admin View Member's Albums

Isolate the Apps Wires out of the main wire loom runing to your ecm
Old 04-29-2009, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

Luke Buchanan lukesdiesel

Get a DTT Noise Filter and never look back
Old 04-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

dtt noise filter?

torquey's Sig:2001.5 quad cab,auto trans, bhaf, refurbished turbo, single 5'' stack,airdog 150, 8000k hid's,led&smoked taillights
Old 04-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Administrator

View Member's FaceBook Profile

I would 2nd the ground thing. I went round and round with mine. I even checked the grounds and all looked good. After every thing else I finally took all connections off and cleaned and ground everything. FIXED Hope it works for ya

I even had a weak battery once that did the same thing. Just screwed things up a little. Truck ran fine but not quite perfect

Jazz's Sig:
2001 Black Auto 4x4 dually 4in exhaust~Quad Adrenaline ~ 200 hp sticks~ SMARTY~ USB Bell Turbo~Fass fuel pump~ Full Suncoast tranny
Old 04-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

This is a common problem with these trucks. You're not alone!

Like others said, DTT noise filter (DTT trans--call them), good batteries, and clean tight grounds.
I also just added a ground from the PCM to the negative battery terminal after having some odd issues with the torque converter staying locked up.....it fixed it.
Good batteries and clean tight grounds are VERY important.

Good clean tranny fluid and a new filter never hurts either.

DeLuzGN's Sig:1999 Dodge Cummins, Q/C, 4x4, auto w/ some upgrades (previous owner did something to the trans....), FASS hpfp w/ 1/2" lines, Isspro EV fuel, pyro, boost, trans temp, Smarty, power puck, AEM Brute Force intake with Amsoil nano-fiber filter, silencer ring MIA, straight pipe, corroded black paint, homebrew biodiesel.

Last edited by DeLuzGN; 04-29-2009 at 10:14 PM..

submit to reddit