24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Need advice on rear brakes not working??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on rear brakes not working??

I don't think my rear drum breaks are working...If I break real hard the front disc breaks lock up but I don't think the rears are working. I have bled the breaks and have all new fluid. The pedal feels fine but seem to have to apply a good amount of pressure to stop. What is pressure bleeding? Is it possible they need to be pressure bled? The truck has 144,000 miles. I'm thinking I should possibly replace the rear wheel cylinders. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id take it to a good brake shop have them do an estimate on it then theyll tell you whats wrong with it and go from there then youll know what to fix at home some places do it for free

Old 11-23-2008, 10:31 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

Jack the truck up enough to get the rear wheels off the ground. On the back side of the hubs you will find a slit with a rubber stopper in it if it's still there. Pull the rubber cap and use a flashlight to look in the slot and you will see a star wheel in there. Turn that star wheel with a screwdriver. Don't remember which direction off the top but you want to make the bolt longer and move that wheel out until there is just a little bit of tension on the wheels when you turn them by hand.

The following users liked this post:
tburke (11-24-2008)
Old 11-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts

I know this is for 2002 truck for the parking brake but it works just the same for 2001 with drums...

E-Brake Adjustment

This procedure is for rear disc brake trucks. 2001.5+ model years.

First block the front tires so the truck can't roll. Then jack up the rear axle of the truck till the tires are off the ground. Use jack stand under the rear axle. Don't set the brake!

SAFETY FIRST!

Now crawl under truck. The pic shown here is the driver side axle hub. There will be a notch in the bracket and in the notch is a rubber plug. You'll need a pair of needle nose pliers to reach in and pull the plug out. Now take a flashlight and look in the notch and you'll see a star wheel. You need to use a flat blade screwdriver to turn the star wheel. Check the wheel for drag by turning. If the shoes start to drag back it off a click or two. Then double check to see if it dragging again.

Now do the other side the same way. Replace the rubber plugs. Now your done.

Which direction to turn the star wheel to tighten? That's a simple answer. In the picture above you would want to be turning the star wheel downward away from the axle to tighten the brakes up. so basically this holds true for both sides. So the passenger side you would want to turn it down and away from the axle. If you reverse this you'll loosen the shoes up. Remember to check for rolling slack they shouldn't drag at all!

The following users liked this post:
tburke (11-24-2008)
Old 11-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The other way to do it is to just pull the tire and drum off,then spin the starwheel thing a little,and test to see if the drum is getting harder to put back on,sounds harder,but it's easier for me to do it that way. (spin the drum as you are trying to put it back on)

I just hate laying on my back trying to spin that little thing through a slot.
Replace the starwheel while you are at it if the points are anything but razor sharp.
(unless you don't mind adjusting the brakes every now and then)

Old 11-24-2008, 10:27 AM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Before you start adjusting the drums - consider installing 1 ton wheel cylinders. These are easy to install and make a big difference after to adjust the drums. You will be happy you did this:

https://www.dieselbombers.com/cummin...r-upgrade.html

Also, on some trucks there is a rear brake proportioning valve. But I cant tell you what years thats on. If you follow the rear brake lines youll see it.

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 11-24-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My Mom's 2000 2500 has the valve,on top of the axle,has a arm and rod on it for sensing load. (piece of crap)
Just ask the people that watched me pimp moms truck right through a red light in Grand Prairie with both front tires smoking...
The 2000 ram 3500 I bought for parts had drums,and no valve.
My 01.5 had disk,no valve.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem before. I adjusted the rear brakes up and that stupid load sensor or rod. I unhooked it and zip tied it up so it would sense a load whether I was loaded or not. There is a way to bypass or get rid of them , but you have to redo your brake lines on the back. I haven't had time to do mine yet but it's on the list.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:29 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,112 Likes on 700 Posts

The other thing to look at here due to age is that you may be due for some new brake lines. Once they get weak the lines swell with pedal pressure instead of pushing the pads.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:25 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 1,322 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Bubba
The other thing to look at here due to age is that you may be due for some new brake lines. Once they get weak the lines swell with pedal pressure instead of pushing the pads.
That is a good point - the rubber hoses can collapse internally and not let fuild in out out of the caliper.

You can get some really good S.S. braided hoses from these guys:

Search results - Circle Track Supply, Inc.

Thanks to JKM for the link.

Quick Reply: Need advice on rear brakes not working??