Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

The other day I ran a scan to check on things and an overboost code came up. I have no real mods yet installed on my truck besides a BD fuel pump. How could I overboost? Earlier that day I did have the truck in ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Default Overboost Code??? How?

The other day I ran a scan to check on things and an overboost code came up. I have no real mods yet installed on my truck besides a BD fuel pump. How could I overboost? Earlier that day I did have the truck in 4low and I went up a muddy hill kind of on it just to make it up. Could that have been it?

Renteria1217's Sig:1998.5 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L QC/SB. Rebuilt vp44, 100gph Raptor pump. K&N Cold Air Intake, Stock 3" Straight Pipe. Diablo power puck.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:07 AM
Diesel Fan

I know you said you have not add ons but we had an over boost with a defective edge EZ took a couple of day to find out after testing everything. Probable a faulty Map sensor. Ed
Old 10-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Was it the MAP sensor on yours or was it the chip? If the MAP sensor was bad, wouldn't that come up as a different code for itself?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:03 PM
BOMBARDIER

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

You would get an underboost or MAP sensor voltage too low code

wildbill's Sig:
2006 Ram Cummins
"RAMPAGE"

Old 10-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Bad MAP sensors can produce both codes of too high of boost and too low.

Dave

Fishin2Deep4U's Sig:'02 Dodge CTD - Mostly stock.

Vulcan Performance

Sales - Dave Conrad

Direct line 503-970-6712

Fight N Fish Guide Service
Old 10-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I cleared the code after the scan. So if it continues to come back, should I change my MAP sensor then?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Diesel Fan

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Renteria1217 View Post
I cleared the code after the scan. So if it continues to come back, should I change my MAP sensor then?
Before u go and get a map sensor, I would hook up a mechanical gauge and c if ur getting 25-30 psi. Also, the waste gate tends 2 seize. this happened on mine and boost maxes out at about 40 psi but still didn't generate a "too high boost code"
Old 10-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I thought it was at 22 psi that you get a boost code. How could the turbo push 40 psi on a pretty much stock truck? I didn't know that was possible. With no mods is it possible to overboost to the point of engine damage?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Diesel Fan

[QUOTE=Renteria1217;221525]I thought it was at 22 psi that you get a boost code. How could the turbo push 40 psi on a pretty much stock truck? I didn't know that was possible. With no mods is it possible to overboost to the point of engine damage?[/QUOTE

ur boost would certainly go higher if ur waste gate was seized. How high depends on what fuel amount is being injected. In my case, I have the edge juice with power level 6. If in ur case, if u r stock, u wont reach that value. With no mods, I hardly think u would reach 30 psi with waste gate seized.

Last edited by turbomar; 10-08-2008 at 05:37 PM..

submit to reddit