Overboost Code??? How? - Diesel Bombers
Diesel Bombers
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

The other day I ran a scan to check on things and an overboost code came up. I have no real mods yet installed on my truck besides a BD fuel pump. How could I overboost? Earlier that day I did have the truck in ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

Overboost Code??? How?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Default Overboost Code??? How?

The other day I ran a scan to check on things and an overboost code came up. I have no real mods yet installed on my truck besides a BD fuel pump. How could I overboost? Earlier that day I did have the truck in 4low and I went up a muddy hill kind of on it just to make it up. Could that have been it?

Renteria1217's Sig:1998.5 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L QC/SB. 235k miles. 100gph Raptor pump. K&N Cold Air Intake, Stock 3" Straight Pipe. Edje Juice CTS(missing the TST Powermax/Diablo power puck stack), Rebuilt auto with billet tc.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:07 AM
Diesel Fan

I know you said you have not add ons but we had an over boost with a defective edge EZ took a couple of day to find out after testing everything. Probable a faulty Map sensor. Ed
Old 10-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Was it the MAP sensor on yours or was it the chip? If the MAP sensor was bad, wouldn't that come up as a different code for itself?
Old 10-07-2008, 03:03 PM
BOMBARDIER
Being Twisted In the Wind

View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

You would get an underboost or MAP sensor voltage too low code

wildbill's Sig:
2006 Ram Cummins
"RAMPAGE"

Old 10-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Bad MAP sensors can produce both codes of too high of boost and too low.

Dave

Fishin2Deep4U's Sig:'02 Dodge CTD - Mostly stock.

Vulcan Performance

Sales - Dave Conrad

Direct line 503-970-6712

Fight N Fish Guide Service
Old 10-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I cleared the code after the scan. So if it continues to come back, should I change my MAP sensor then?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Diesel Fan

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Renteria1217 View Post
I cleared the code after the scan. So if it continues to come back, should I change my MAP sensor then?
Before u go and get a map sensor, I would hook up a mechanical gauge and c if ur getting 25-30 psi. Also, the waste gate tends 2 seize. this happened on mine and boost maxes out at about 40 psi but still didn't generate a "too high boost code"
Old 10-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I thought it was at 22 psi that you get a boost code. How could the turbo push 40 psi on a pretty much stock truck? I didn't know that was possible. With no mods is it possible to overboost to the point of engine damage?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Diesel Fan

[QUOTE=Renteria1217;221525]I thought it was at 22 psi that you get a boost code. How could the turbo push 40 psi on a pretty much stock truck? I didn't know that was possible. With no mods is it possible to overboost to the point of engine damage?[/QUOTE

ur boost would certainly go higher if ur waste gate was seized. How high depends on what fuel amount is being injected. In my case, I have the edge juice with power level 6. If in ur case, if u r stock, u wont reach that value. With no mods, I hardly think u would reach 30 psi with waste gate seized.

Last edited by turbomar; 10-08-2008 at 05:37 PM..