24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Programmer question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmer question

If I want to put a programmer on my truck, I understand that I need a stronger lift pump than factory to be successful. Instead of just buying a tuner and a lift pump i thought Id see what combinations of the two all of you have had luck with. I was looking into just getting a raptor 150 and a new quadzilla adrenaline or the xzt. Thoughts? I haven't seen or heard anything new online about the quadzilla brand since they have reopened. Thanks for the insight!

Old 01-30-2016, 10:01 PM
Diesel Fan

Originally Posted by PA 24valve
If I want to put a programmer on my truck, I understand that I need a stronger lift pump than factory to be successful. Instead of just buying a tuner and a lift pump i thought Id see what combinations of the two all of you have had luck with. I was looking into just getting a raptor 150 and a new quadzilla adrenaline or the xzt.
Thoughts? I haven't seen or heard

anything new online about the quadzilla brand since they have reopened. Thanks for the insight!
I run the smarty. I like the smarty just because it's simple and reliable. Just plug it in to the obdll port and update the ecm. No running wires and tapping into the harness on the vp44. But if you want the ability to adjust on the fly then I'd go with the edge juice with attitude. The 150 fass airdog definitely would work with either nicely. What's the desired horsepower you want to achieve and what's the plan for the truck daily driver, sled pulling or what?

Old 01-30-2016, 10:45 PM

The smarty looks awesome too. And forgive me cause I am still fairly new to the diesel world but if I were to run a smarty wouldnt I need to buy gauges to moniter egt's, trans temp, ect? As far as power and horsepower goals I wasnt looking for anything too crazy. Mainly look to maximize my trucks potential with a better fuel pump and a reliable tuner without damaging my truck. If I get a quad, smarty or edge juice im not going to be runiing it on the highest setting because I dont plan on building the trans. Just looking for safe moderate power to add to the truck

Old 02-01-2016, 04:52 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

I would look into FASS. I have heard airdog is picking up with quality again, BUT I would go with something I could put my finger on for quality.

If you add anything you need gauges and aftermarket lift pump first, transmission 2nd, and then you can start adding power. Out of all you listed the quad will be your most powerful. Smarty will be your least powerful.

But if your not planning on building the trans I wouldn't get a programmer. I would get gauges and lift pump and call it a day.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:10 AM

So if i were to build the trans What kind of kit ahould i be looking at? How difficult are they to install? Thanks for all the help

Old 02-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Diesel Wrench

What do you have? Manual or Auto? Manual I would recommend stouter clutch with upgraded input shaft. Auto, depending on power levels, you could get away with torque convertor and valve body to full competition. I would est starting price for each roughly $1000 and climbing quickly.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:31 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

Adrenaline has my vote!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:51 AM

What if I got a new fuel pump and put a fuel pressure gauge in and just added the quad xzt? I cant imagine thay could do much damage to a stock auto trans can it? Like i said im not trying to blow smoke or add crazy horsepower just something to liven the truck up a bit without hurting a mostly stock truck

Old 02-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Diesel Wrench

You would be surprised what will destroy a stock auto transmission. A little more than stock will short the life span a good bit.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:54 AM

Plenty of people around me are running quadzilla adrenaline and edge comp box on a STOCK 47re automatic. These programmers are adjustable for a reason. If you drive your truck like an ******* on level 10 then yes your trannys life will be shortened , but if you stay on a fuel economy tunes and stay easy on the pedal you should be just fine. For your situation I would get the smarty so3. It will give you a nice increase in power but not too much, also fuel economy, it's very adjustable and also has the high idle feature for cold weather