24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

99 cummins Holley blue pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 cummins Holley blue pump

I have a 99 cummins 2wd 5 speed with a superchips programmer and aftermarket air ram. I had an airdog 150gph on it until it went out the other day, brushes on the motor are shot. I went and got a Holley blue pump and put on it using the same 1/2" lines the airdog did (bypassing the stock lines, stock air filter and lift pump) with the Holley do I need to connect it back up to the stock lines and use the lift pump also? Is bypassing the lift pump a bad thing? What psi should I be getting on fuel? When I get on the throttle I c an tell I'm loosing pressure because it will caugh a little but not die. What do I need to do any insight will be helpful, thanks

Old 05-31-2015, 11:26 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Those holley blue pumps are really weak I ran one on my drag car and at wide open it would not provide enough pressure.
If you can install a fass pump as soon as possible to prevent the VP injection pump from cavitating. If you take it easy on the truck and just cruise around it may be ok.
The other thing is there is no filter on the blue pumps its ok to bypass the stock lift pump and the filter on the block if you use some other filter .

Old 06-01-2015, 05:57 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 65 Likes on 62 Posts

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? You need one or you will most likely end up burning up the VP. Unless you have an aftermarket fuel filter just run it into the stock fuel filter.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:37 AM

I've got an aftermarket fuel filter inline. The only reason I'm using it is because the airdog went out and I was low on money. I am putting the FP guage on today and I'll find out what I'm running.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:53 AM

Is there a way to buy a replacement motor for the airdog? If so should I do that?

Old 06-01-2015, 07:10 AM
Diesel Wrench

I would not buy a new airdog. Save your money for a fass.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 347 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Wigginsmk
Is there a way to buy a replacement motor for the airdog? If so should I do that?
It may be cheaper to rebuild it, but like Ghostman was saying in an earlier post the AirDog Quality is in the toilet lately.
Once you get into your airdog you may find other problems.
Let us know what your FP is when you get your gauge hooked up. The holley blue will probably get you by for a while.
Just out of curiosity how many miles would you say you got out of the Airdog?

Last edited by Jet A Fuel; 06-01-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:02 AM

Thank yall for the advice, I've got the FP guage on and it's running 14psi at idle and it drops no lower than 11psi when you punch it. Is that bad? Also in second gear if you get on it hard it will drop to 11psi then a few seconds later often you let off the throttle back to idling the guage will jump to 9 then back to 15 and In between then settle back to 14psi, what could that mean? and it only does it if you romp on it in second gear. It's not a huge deal seeing I rarely do that but just curious.

Jet A Fuel I'm not really sure, I got it off a parts truck that I have that has 401k miles. I've put 43k miles on it since i put it on my truck and it defiantly wasn't new when I took it off the other truck but I couldn't tell you the full life of it, I just know that I got 43k out of it

Old 06-02-2015, 04:22 AM
Diesel Wrench

14 is ok. If it drops below 10 I would start to worry. But as stated previously treat this pump as a bandaide. Put money back for a FASS pump. But the main thing as of right now keep an eye on that pressure gauge.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:05 AM

Yessir, thanks gh0stman will do. I'll keep watching the guage like I said if I drive normal it won't get below 11psi so I will just be easy on it until I can get a FASS. What psi should you get from a fass?

Quick Reply: 99 cummins Holley blue pump