24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Truck dies first time throttle is applied..

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:15 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Truck dies first time throttle is applied..

Have a weird issue going on with my truck that is really annoying,has been going on for a few months now.It will crank and start right away like normal.After starting it I can let it idle for days and it will run fine.The first time I apply any throttle,the truck will sputter and usually die, although sometimes it will just sputter and then come back.Then it will run fine for as long as I drive it,until I shut it off and restart.Even if I just stop for a minute to get fuel,it will do it the first time I hit the throttle like clockwork.

Anybody have any ideas?

The following users liked this post:
geatgavi (04-19-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Could either have air in the fuel lines, or you jacked with your pump.

geatgavi (04-19-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 01:35 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you checked for fault codes, just because CEL isn't on doesn't mean there isn't any logged. You can run self diagnostics by cycling key from off to run (don't crank) 3 times quickly, 3rd time leave in run and watch odometer display. If successful, the display will list faults for PCM 1st and then ECM. Faults will be listed as P1693, P0216, etc (just examples). If there are no PCM faults, it will just spit out ECM codes and at end of list, it will say "done". If only says done, there are no faults. If PCM lists P1693, that is a code for communication issue between PCM & ECM. It has no effect on engine performance and won't clear when other faults are cleared with scan tool. That fault is present in 85% of 98-02 24V trucks. OK to ignore that fault. My guess is either the TPS or possibly torque converter clutch. When you shift into gear after startup, does the idle speed drop significantly? Perform self diagnostics or stop by any parts store(AutZone, O Reilly, etc). They will scan for free in hopes of selling you parts. Don't let them clear faults, just write all down and write me back. I can help.

geatgavi (04-19-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 10:40 AM
Diesel Fan

Hooked the DRBIII to it a couple weeks ago and no DTCs. I replaced the APPS last year with a timbo APPS,was having dead pedal and it threw a CEL.It will do it to me if I rev it in park so I dont think the TCC is related? I was thinking air in the lines originally but I'm not sure why the air wouldnt pass through at idle.. And it fires back up the second I hit the key which usually isnt the case with air in fuel.

geatgavi (04-19-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Diesel Fan

I believe you are correct in both cases, if it does it in park, converter wouldn't be it. Have you tried disconnecting the Edge box temporarily? Have you had to replace inj pump yet? Just reaching at this point, but what lift pump arrangement and pressure are you running?

geatgavi (04-19-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Diesel Fan

Havent tried disconnecting the edge box yet.. Injection pump was replaced at 180,000 and truck now has 250,000.Lift pump is aftermarket,not sure what brand it is as it was put on by previous owner.Holds a steady 17 psi.

This morning I noticed that after it died when I restarted it let out a big puff of white smoke.Not sure if it is related or not.Also yesterday when I was driving it did it to me while driving,which it has never done before.I was crusing about 30mph and it sputtered for a second,almost died,then picked back up.Doesnt feel like an apps issue because dead pedal just holds the engine at idle,this brings it down to no RPM.

geatgavi (04-19-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 11:23 PM
Diesel Fan

Now that acts like the converter being welded in lock up. Got to thinking, if converter is stuck in lock up, it wouldn't matter if you were in park cuz it's not in gear yet. Did your trans build include a valve body that would allow lock up in 1st & 2nd gears? Did it include a lock up control box? But if converter were locked up, the added mass of the input shaft, pump drive, etc would be a huge load to where it would die after revving it. I'm still reaching, best to wait for codes. And I'm not knocking Edge chips, I've been selling them as our main chip line since 01-02. Have you ever done the self diagnostic routine?

geatgavi (04-19-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 06:19 PM
Diesel Fan

By the self diagnostic routine do you mean getting the codes to pop up on the dash?If so I checked it for DTCs with the chrysler DRB scan tool a few weeks ago and had none in the PCM or the Cummins ECM.

Valvebody is stock.Does have a TS performance converter lockup controller,but it isnt set to lock up early or anything.Previous owner installed it thinking it would solve the lockup "hunting" issue.If the converter was staying locked I would think I would have other symptoms like a slow crank.

My only thoughts at this point are a weird crank/cam sensor issue,or a fuel system issue.I'm noticing puffs of white smoke at startup,which it has never really done before.Not sure if it is related.Getting worried I might have an issue with the vp44 that the ECM hasnt picked up on yet.

Last edited by 1969olds; 04-07-2015 at 06:36 PM.
geatgavi (04-19-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 11:16 PM
Diesel Fan

TC hunting problem only affected 98 MY. Ask Dodge to perform TSB 18-02-99, it will fix that. Stock valve bodies only allow lockup in 3rd gear and O/D. I believe your are correct about slow cranking part, that's why I asked how low RPM dropped when put in gear. But it would creep as soon as you did put in gear. Just sounded strange that it dropped so low in RPM. Yes the self diag by cycling key 3 times will display any stored or active codes. Not sure if 98-99 will do that. Can only try. I'm thinking a P0216 will pop up, that's for the AFC control circuit and the puff of white smoke would go with that if diaphragm shaft were sticking and let loose all of a sudden, but that wouldn't explain other complaints. I'd still recommend temp Edge disconnect, not just from plate, but datalink harness and boost connector as well. 5 minutes worth of work might eliminate a whole bunch of worry. Keep me informed please, I will be the first to say I don't know it all cuz I see something new every day!

geatgavi (04-19-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Diesel Fan

Okay well today was looking over the truck for issues.Wanted to test fuel pressure with an actual gauge to verify it was okay and I'm not chasing my tail.My fuel pressure gauge is tapped into one of the test ports on the fuel filter housing.Removed the line from the test port,and the line to my fuel pressure gauge was dry,not a drop of fuel in it.Tested fuel pressure and had 17psi just like gauge says.So I'm thinking that the fuel gauge line has a leak and is draining back into the filter housing.Not sure if it related or not because I don't see how this would cause it to happen while driving,but going to fix regardless.

geatgavi (04-19-2015)