24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

99 cummins problems and they all suck

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 cummins problems and they all suck

First off my RPM gauge was and wasn't working from time to time along with the fuel gauge on the dash. They replaced the battery's with new ones. Apparently there was hardly any charge to them. But two days later I filled the hog up when it was reading half full, when I started up and the left the gauge did not move. Still stuck at half. Someone was telling me it could be the fuel sending unit. Well before I could take a look at that I drove into town and when I came back out from the store the truck had a hard time start. It was turning over and everything just couldn't start up. It finally did about after the 5th try, It has a aftermarket lift pump not sure if that causing the problem or not. I've heard the everything from that to the starter going bad. It's just flustering me because I have a warranty on the thing and the damn mechanic at the dealership can't figure it out. The guy said they placed a new fuel sending unit on it.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What is your fuel pressure ?

Old 02-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Diesel Fan

oh dude I had the same problem with my fuel gauge on mine, it happened when I first got it, I was so pissed. dealerships make me so mad... I had em fix it and I filled it up and still read full, funny cause if its full how come I just put ten gallons in it... I took it back and made em do it again. bet they just did the same thing. dodge dealership mechanics DO NOT impress me, oh they couldn't figure out what was the problem I had to tell them to replace the fuel sending unit...

Old 02-13-2014, 04:14 PM

Yeah same here man. They just told me that's not coverd but yet the little pencil dick mechanic told me they replaced it when they first got it. It's in there for the 3rd time now. Mainly because it won't even crank over. Now they're telling me it's the starter, which I have a hard time believing. My lights and everything will come on but it wont crank over. I'm guess it's the Silenoids or grid heater