24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Wiring Demons?!

Old 01-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring Demons?!

Once again, I have run into several issues with my truck. It is a 2000 QCSB 6 spd with a P pump swap. I have not owned the truck long and it had several little issues with it when I bought it that I have been taking care of one at a time (some have turned into BIG issues). I now have park lights on all the time (front and rear) that is causing my batteries to die. I also noticed that my power locks, power mirrors, overhead display, heated seats (power seats work just not the heat), and power windows stopped working. As far as the park lights go, i can pull the fuse and the relay and the lights stay on! I read some articles talking about the FCM (not even sure my truck has one) and corrosion on the circuit board can cause the park lamps to stay on but I think my problem is beyond that. A little back story on the truck is that is has a Salvage title due to being flooded previously. I know that most of you are thinking "there's your problem right there!" but the flooding was quite a while ago and these symptoms recently came about. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or input, you guys have been a wealth of knowledge so far for other questions I have had.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to clean all the grounds and clean all the connection

Old 01-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks for your input. I know very little about the electrical system on this truck. Could you point me in the right direction as to where the grounds are located? Also, when you say clean the connections, are you talking about the connections to the relays/fuses in the fuse box?

Old 01-15-2014, 02:23 PM

there are alot of grounds some are visable alot aren't would be helpful if you can find a wiring diagram i have a 99 ram 4x4 and when the tranny acts up i clean the battery cables and the grounds under the air box solves my problems but depending on how far the water came up on your truck you might even have to get in behind the dash big job good luck

Old 01-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Diesel Fan

Thanks again. I have the typical Dodge cracked dash and need to put the replacement in anyway. I guess this is as good of a time as any to check the grounds under the dash while I'm changing it out.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:51 AM

when you clean connections and grounds find some good anti corossive grease and put some on the contacts

Old 01-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Cleaning grounds isn't going to do nothing for your tail light issue and I doubt it'll do anything for your other issues. Start by Unplugging the headlight switch if the lights stay on your looking for a short to b+. We've found quite a few in the trailer wiring.
As for your other issues first step would be checking for power and ground at all components. Very few of the components share power sources so if you find your missing b+ I'd move to the pdc and check for voltage drops there. If you find voltage on ground circuits you've got a bad ground and should follow that route. We see quite a few terminals that the pdc feed wire gets corrosion in it and causes a voltage drop to the pdc.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by mysterync
Cleaning grounds isn't going to do nothing for your tail light issue and I doubt it'll do anything for your other issues. Start by Unplugging the headlight switch if the lights stay on your looking for a short to b+. We've found quite a few in the trailer wiring.
As for your other issues first step would be checking for power and ground at all components. Very few of the components share power sources so if you find your missing b+ I'd move to the pdc and check for voltage drops there. If you find voltage on ground circuits you've got a bad ground and should follow that route. We see quite a few terminals that the pdc feed wire gets corrosion in it and causes a voltage drop to the pdc.
Isn't going to do nothing. Stupid autocorrect.

Last edited by mysterync; 01-17-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost