24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

In take air fooler.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In take air fooler.

Has any one used one ? Does it work? And how do you make them on a switch ?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

talking about an intake air temp fooler (IAT fooler) for high idle on demand, and winter mpgs?

or a boost fooler for running higher boost without a CEL?

both work.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:52 AM
Diesel Fan

The IAT fooler. How do you make one ? Or can one be bought ?

Old 12-31-2013, 09:51 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

What are you trying to accomplish? I think answering this will help us direct you to your answer.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:20 PM
Diesel Fan

I'd like the extra mpg and high idle on a switch

Old 01-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

subscribed. I have a similar interest as I have read that fooling the intake air temperature, telling it that it is warmer than it really is, can possibly save fuel due to timing changes. I am unclear on how this works or if it does work at all. I am not sure if retards the timing or how this works with a box such as my Edge with advances timing. I am far from an expert on this topic so I hope someone can help clear this up.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Diesel Wrench

DAP sells the V2.0 switch.
however you can make the version 1.0 switch yourself.

V 1.0 uses about 4 toggle switches, where 2.0 uses a single 4 position dial switch.

ver 2.0:
Diesel Auto Power - Good Service, Great Products, Excellent Prices!!! Willing to match/beat any legitimate price.

ver 1.0 would be: IAT fooler on/off => MPG/High idle => 3cyl/6cyl ECT fooler on/off (constant high idle)

IAT off would allow the ECM to talk directly to the IAT sensor, IAT on would go to the mpg fooler/high idle switch where mpg fooler will hook the ECM leads from the first switch to a resistor, or send the ecm leads to the second switch which is the high idle switch. on this switch it is just a selection between the 3-cyl high idle resistor and the 6-cyl high idle resistor.

the last switch will have ECM leads from the ECT sensor. this will either switch between the ECT sensor for off, or the resistor for on.

resistors are:

56k ohms - 3-cyl high idle (makes a 14*F sensor reading)
39k ohms - 6-cyl high idle (makes a 28-30*F sensor reading)
2.2k ohms - mpg mode (makes a 143*F sensor reading simulating a 100*F summer day)
3.3k ohms - ECT fooler for continuous high idle (normal mode shuts off at > 170* coolant temp, the fooler makes coolant temp read 124* regardless of actual coolant temp to make high idle come on and stay on)

All resistors are 1/4w. you can use 1/4 or 1/2w if you want overkill, but anything larger is ridiculously overkill and large.

would be wise to use american made high quality 1% tolerance or lower resistors. Otherwise cold temps can change the resistance levels on cheaper higher tolerance resistors and cause the readings to be out of spec.

btw it DOES work.

I have the ver 2.0 beta switch on my truck.

use it every day for 3-cyl high idle to warm the truck up, and mpg mode.

my results...

my normal summer time mpg is about 15.5mpg

last winter my mpg dropped to 12-13mpg. don't believe me? do a search on cummins forum and you will likely find at least a couple posts by me from last year about my mpg sucking and being 12-13mpg last winter...

over the weekend I filled up the truck, it has been below freezing here quite a bit lately.. last fillup 15.25 mpg average hand calculated. and I always use 1 qt 2-cycle oil per fillup summer or winter, and always fill to the top of the fill neck. bout as accurate as you can get...

so really my winter mpg is only down .25mpg from normal summer average where last year it was a 2-3mpg drop without the fooler.

and that fooler DOES change the timing. flipping the switch causes an immediate timing change in the motor that you can actually hear and feel happen. plus if you have a scan gauge or an edge cts/attitude or quadzilla scout/pulse monitor you can actually see the IAT values the ECM is seeing. and you will see the readings I posted +-1 or 2 degrees..

mopar1973man gets all the credit for the ver 1.0 switch and the original R&D work to come up with it, and mopar1973man and yankneck696 from cumminsforum get all the credit for the 2.0 switch as their combined efforts made that switch happen.

I know how the 2.0 switch is done, but I won't reveal the specs on how to make that switch as the boys are trying to get it patented so it stays hush hush. works similar to the 1.0 switch though other than it has combined functions and is all done on one dial switch.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

should also note... the MPG mode will not make you gain MPG in the summer time, nor gain anything over than your normal mpgs....

it will reduce the mpg drop in the winter time to keep you close to or at your summer mpg levels..

you may still dip down slightly in winter with it just because of the winter fuels having #1/#2 mix and more alcohol mixed in the fuels to prevent gelling. there's nothing we can do about that part electronically, but we can set the timing in summer mode on the engine by fooling the IAT into thinking it is getting hot summer air.

btw I have no affiliation with DAP or mike/ed other than I beta tested the 2.0 switch for them.

so I don't get paid jack . I just got a free beta switch for testing for them to ensure continuous high idle won't cause an overheat with large/competition injectors which my truck happens to have 240hp+ (6x.013 micro blind SAC) competition injectors.

Last edited by jigabop; 01-06-2014 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
RAW (01-06-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Diesel Fan

Is there a wiring diagram some where??

Old 01-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Diesel Wrench