24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

TC Lock-Unlock/engine stalling problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC Lock-Unlock/engine stalling problem!

Alright guys, Ive read all about the torque converter lock/unlock problem and that it pretty much boils down to the alternator throwing off AC interference into all the wiring, messing with the throttle sensor which in turn messes with the shifting and blah blah blah. My problem, which through all the articles ive read Ive never seen anyone else say this same thing, is that when the TC goes full retard and doesnt know what to do, and I keep my foot in the gas instead of letting off the engine stalls. Then you let off and she starts running again. To me, the engine stalling means the injection pump is shutting down. But Im just not sure that AC interference off the alternator could cause that. It didnt do it to me at all throughout the summer but this winter it started again. And its been a pretty chilly one here in michigan. So im wondering if anyone else had this same problem or any ideas/thoughts on what is causing this???
Also, ive already checked my APPS sensor voltage and adjusted that then did an APPS reset. It fixed it for about 2 weeks then yesterday it started again. So i went ahead and changed the alternator, took it for a test drive, and it worked perfectly. But now today on my way back home it started doing the same thing. So i dont know what to do next.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

P.s. its a 2001 cummins with about 126000 miles on it. Only mod i have is a K&N airfilter but i also think it has a factory replacement lift pump on it made by alliance.

Last edited by Duber77; 12-25-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Diesel Fan

I have a 2001 2nd Gen thats doing the same thing , or at least it sounds that way. It has 282,000 , runs great most of the time . Still working on it though. Wouldn't trade it. Did you get yours fixed.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:55 AM

No i havent. What gets me is how randomly it does it. Like my truck will do it on the way to work, then on the way home it doesnt or even in the same drive it will do it then not. One thought i had that i wonder if its causing anything is that i changed the tranny fluid over the summer and put a quart of lucas in it. I know that stuff gets really thick when its cold cuz i had it in my other truck before and on the bitter cold days it would actually pop one of the tranny lines off. So maybe the fluid is just to thick to get through all the ports and valves. I might do a flush and ill let ya know if that changes anything.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Diesel Fan

I have had the problem off and on also, but , I think I found the solution. I took the fuel heating element out of the filter canister, it looked like one of the wires was not making a good connection, I soldered the wire back so it's making good contact and cleaned the probes that extend into the canister. It has worked very well. At least so far. Give it a try, It's an easy fix. also check your fuel heater relay. Hope you have the same results that I did.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:12 PM

Thanks man Ill have to try that and let ya know if it works when it gets a bit warmer out. its about -5 degrees with wind chill of -30 somethin here in southern michigan right now .