24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Hello 99 trans!! any suggestions

Old 12-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello 99 trans!! any suggestions

K so I bought a 99 cummins 2500 and love it, it is a driver I live 8 miles from work and haul very little beyond fire wood. right off the bat I took it in to get the trans rebuilt I had a upgrade kit installed like a plow package but that was it, it is out again and don't wana do the same **** so I am looking for other options without getting way upside down in this truck.. I was reading on converting to an eaton trans, different aftermarket trans which tip 4 to 5 grand anyone else do anything and have good results??? Thanks

Old 12-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many miles are on the rebuild?

Did they flush the cooler lines?

Did they remove the check ball in the cooler line? (they should)

What gear is gone? How did it fail?
What do they say about it? ( the shop that rebuilt it)

Old 12-19-2013, 01:19 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, how did the tranny fail?

There are a TON of mods that I recommend doing inside the 47RE. What mods were done to it the first time around?

Old 12-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Diesel Fan

I haven't taken it back to that shop, I am loosing rev. and it only has a upgraded kit like a plow package kit nothing real serious. I am thinking of looking for one of two things buying a aftermarket built trans or find a wrecked manual and do a swap, I like the truck sooo I guess..

Old 12-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Diesel Fan

Oh, sheesh...! Don't put a manual in it!

Get that automatic built right and you'll love your truck all the more...!

Old 12-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

i had a DTT tranny in mine. worked flawless.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:06 PM
Diesel Fan

Okay so I guess as u guys are talking me into just doing my trans I will look into the DTT and what other mods are everyone thinking.. again I am not pulling a weighted sled but I am to the point of just spending the dough and being done with it?? I also thought of an Allison conversion but if I can find something more original but freaking works.. Thank you all for the info

Old 12-22-2013, 01:44 AM
Diesel Fan

You'll want a good, solid build with increased clutch count in the forward, direct and OD brake clutches. I build the 47 with 5 discs in the forward, 5 in the direct and 6 in the OD brake. Use full thickness frictions and steels ONLY! Don't let anyone sell you anything with thinner discs!

Also, there are a ton of valve body mods that need to be done in the 47RE. Converter charge in park, line pressure increase, shift calibrations, increase converter charge pressure, etc...

Lastly, I recommend a good billet low stall triple disc converter. The ones I use are custom built for my shop by a great converter manufacturer here in the NW. They're a full billet front cover, triple disc clutch and bring the stall speed down by about 400 rpm. You'll want something equivalent...

Old 12-23-2013, 05:59 AM
Diesel Fan

Do you mind me asking who?? And are you building rigs or drivers? and thanks for the help... I am looking to order this stuff and get it put together.. I am thinking the 500hp rebuild from dtt

Old 12-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Diesel Fan

The Dodge triples (and some of the Fords) we use are built by Cascade Converter. The Stage 4 and 5's are among the best that I've ever used behind the 24 valve.

Are you looking to build the transmission yourself? Have a local builder do the build with parts you supply? Just buy a complete transmission from a builder?

I guess I don't understand your question "rigs or drivers". We build transmissions for a ton of different applications, but heavy towing is 90% of what we do with the Dodges and Fords.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hello 99 trans!! any suggestions