24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Programmer help

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmer help

I have a 2001 cummins,47re Auto, 4x4 quad cab short bed, not sure gears probably 3.73. I just got it a few weeks ago stock with aftermarket exhaust. I drive this truck about 15 minutes 1 way, straight highway. I would like a little bit more mpg so I can save some fuel. I would like gauges but I want something different than standard analog gauges, I've narrowed my search down to the Edge CS, but would like to add a programmer to it such as a Edge comp box or a power puck? What kind of programmer can be used in conjunction with a Edge CS? I don't want a major programmer like a smarty, it's way too much for me and I would only use it for an economy setting. Any input at all would be great. I'm new to this forum and I'm new to cummins so any help would be great. P.S. Future plans are simple, straight pipe, 285 tires, intake, intake manifold, some type of programmer, nothing big but I can't have a stock truck. Again any advice/help would be very appreciated! Thanks a lot! -Billy

Old 11-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

welcome, you could run an edge juice w/attitude with the cs, it has 5 settings, you could also run an edge ez but i dont know if the cs will work with that. Im not familliar with the power puck, ive only ran a edge juice w/attitude with the cts. you definantly need to get a fuel pressure guage and monitor that, and as long as you dont want a lot of power your tranny should be fine for a while..

Old 11-08-2013, 07:42 AM

Diesel life, I'm not trying to make the truck a power house no, I have seen the edge juice with attitude before and it looks really cool. How did the Juice with attitude work for you? Anything to look out for? I can probably use a fuel pressure gauge from the cts/cs right? Thanks for your input!-Billy

Old 11-10-2013, 01:18 AM
Diesel Fan

I have a 01 4x4 dually 6 speed with 3.55 gears has s&b intake,mprp exhaust and edge cs. It gets 20mpg on interstate and 11mpg pulling my raptor 36ft toy hauler with Polaris rzr in the back. I know it's not great but I have a heavy foot and she has 523,000 miles on her.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bnbbwhite2404
Diesel life, I'm not trying to make the truck a power house no, I have seen the edge juice with attitude before and it looks really cool. How did the Juice with attitude work for you? Anything to look out for? I can probably use a fuel pressure gauge from the cts/cs right? Thanks for your input!-Billy

i have no complaints about it, yes you can you use the fuel pressure guage on it i do that as well, i run mine on level 5 all the time and average around 22mpg-23mpg.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:16 PM
Diesel Fan

I run mine on 5 also while just driving. I run on 2 and 3 while towing my toy hauler,my whole rig weighs 25,000 pounds and what a difference the tuner makes while towing.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bnbbwhite2404
I have a 2001 cummins,47re Auto, 4x4 quad cab short bed, not sure gears probably 3.73. I just got it a few weeks ago stock with aftermarket exhaust. I drive this truck about 15 minutes 1 way, straight highway. I would like a little bit more mpg so I can save some fuel. I would like gauges but I want something different than standard analog gauges, I've narrowed my search down to the Edge CS, but would like to add a programmer to it such as a Edge comp box or a power puck? What kind of programmer can be used in conjunction with a Edge CS? I don't want a major programmer like a smarty, it's way too much for me and I would only use it for an economy setting. Any input at all would be great. I'm new to this forum and I'm new to cummins so any help would be great. P.S. Future plans are simple, straight pipe, 285 tires, intake, intake manifold, some type of programmer, nothing big but I can't have a stock truck. Again any advice/help would be very appreciated! Thanks a lot! -Billy

these trucks didn't come with 3.73 gears... they came with 3.55 standard and 4.10 optional

edge comp adds far more power than a smarty does on a 2nd gen.

the edge comp is a 120hp wiretap fueling/timing box, the smarty is a 65hp programmer.

if you want economy and no power, get an edge ez...its pretty much just a timing box that might add a small amount of torque, but mostly just adds timing for better fuel economy and lower egt's.