24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Free spin hubs, yukon vs spyntec vs dynatrac

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free spin hubs, yukon vs spyntec vs dynatrac

Hey guys. I'm going to do a free spin kit and want your opinion on what brand to go with. I've been doing research and it seems they all do the trick ( yukon ,spyntec or dynatrac) I just want you two cents on the subject. I don't do any hard 4x4ing but If the opportunity presents it's self .......

Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It can be done apparently with factory parts and/or junkyard parts for a lot less $.
I am planning on one of these options. I really like the second one.

Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Dana 60 Hub removal and converison to Ford Knuckles - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...n-t287434.html

Old 11-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yjay
It can be done apparently with factory parts and/or junkyard parts for a lot less $.
I am planning on one of these options. I really like the second one.

Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Dana 60 Hub removal and converison to Ford Knuckles - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Junkyard hub conversion - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums
Ball joint changes were made in '00 and newer front 60's and cannot be done with these parts.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I have not done it myself yet, but according to post #21 of the second link it can.

Last edited by yjay; 11-07-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Well it does say that but I went through what he did to accomplish it and I'm still a bit unclear exactly how. It appears it is done in a different manner than the earlier ones and apparently requires the use of a pretty good sized lathe.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

It does look like a lot more of a chore than the pre 2000's, but the aftermarket kits are so horribly expensive that it would probably be worth the effort if the parts could be had cheap. That being said I wouldn't pillage an intact straight Ford Dana 60 to do it. I'd swap the whole thing in if I had one. Convert to leaf springs and have better steering components, high pinion, and no vacuum disco. With any luck a guy could find one with the right gearing. Still probably as cheap as the free spin kits.

The following users liked this post:
Russ Roth (11-09-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 01:12 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can some one with expiriance on these kits chime in

Old 11-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunright mobile
Can some one with expiriance on these kits chime in
I did the modification on my 2002 using the EMS Free Spin Kit. Price was about $1.5K. I didn't have the time or desire to try to chase down all the associated parts to try to save the money. I installed the EMS Free Spin kit over 2 days at a 'laid back' pace...working slowly/methodically to ensure the job was done correctly the first time. Instructions were easy to follow, job was completed and it is nice to have the job done! (Work done about 1 year ago.)

Old 11-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've done the manual hub swap using Ford parts like mentioned. Very easy swap, and it did save me some money even buying a lot of new parts. I'm actually near the end of that thread if anyone would like to see the parts I used and the out come.

But being that your truck is an 01', using the Ford parts will not work as already mentioned.

Between the three brands you listed, they are all going to be closly equal. Mainly depending on which spline count they use on the stub shaft; 30 or 35 spline. If you barely 4x4 though it wouldn't matter too much but I always go stronger if I can. There isn't much to manual locking hubs so I'm sure there all all pretty strong. Main thing is what metals each kit uses for the hubs and stub shaft. If they are all the same, it's going to be based off of what you like the best appearance wise.

Also, usually you can tell if there are stronger metals by the price as strong parts have a significant price rise.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i was considering this too. I am subscribing. Any large benefits in less fuel consumption? That is the only reason I was considering it. Are their any other reason?