24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

No start, anything but a vp44.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start, anything but a vp44.

Let me start at the beggining. I installed a FP gauge. When doing so i found that my fuel filter housing was caked with junk in the bottom, so I started digging, it was terrible, I cleaned it all out then decided to take a look at the fuel tank. Any truck with the milage this one has on it is bound to have a dirty tank, so I did so cleaned everything reinstalled it, great. Blead the lines, turned the key, nothing. Looked over all my work, made sure lines were blead. Finnally got it started, then a day later, no start. Tried everything again with no luck. First thing came to mind, injection pump. Obviously I do not want to take that for an answer, so i began troublshooting. Starting from the fuel tank. I am getting considerable amount of fuel all the was up to the injection pump coming from the fuel filter housing. I cracked injecter lines 1, 3, and 5 (didnt have much time so i didnt get all of them, especially #6) i had a decent amount of fuel coming from #3 and 5. #1 not so much, I dont know how much fuel should be coming out so maybe i'm wrong when I said that was a decent amount coming out. As of now my batteries are to drained to do much so they are charging, once I can I will begin trouble shooting again. So my questions are; how much fuel should be coming from the injector lines with just my raptor pump running?, And most curiously, when cleaning the fuel filter housing, did I push some of that "junk" into the hole to the line, then tried starting it and shoved it into my injector pump, and if so what would it do to the pump, could it go through it and clog some of my fuel lines?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Update, ran code got a 1689, I know what conclusion people like to jump to when hearing that code, I have not tried swapping out the relays yet but hopefully that will be the issue. I know there are a few others tests to find the problem popping the code but would like some clarification on them if anyone knows.

Last edited by harls3; 10-21-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Possible that some junk got pushed through and did damage in the pump.

In theory, little fuel should come out the injector lines with just the lift pump running. The solenoid in the VP won't be allowing fuel through.

What fuel pressure are you seeing with the key on, cranking, and if you bump the starter to run the lift pump?

Old 10-22-2013, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was showing 15psi so I dont see any problems up to the injector pump. Another Thought I had since I was seeing fuel in the injector lines with the pump running, could the crap I dislodged clogged my injectors? If so how does one check that? I dont know alot about this stuff but enough to be curious and try fixing it.