24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

98.5 Cummings 3500 high idle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98.5 Cummings 3500 high idle?

It idles at 1125 rpm, Have checked for binding linkage and thats all good. Backed off idle stop and no difference, changed apps with known working one, same thing. loosened 2 screws
on sensor and got it to idle at 900 rpm, then was going to put in gear to see what idle would be, as soon as I touched brake pedal it whent back to 1125 rpm. Disconnect batterys for an hour and did the push pedal down slowly and release, no change, have done this 3 times.
What else can I try? Shows no codes, also temp gauge doesn't move.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by dieseldog NC
It idles at 1125 rpm, Have checked for binding linkage and thats all good. Backed off idle stop and no difference, changed apps with known working one, same thing. loosened 2 screws
on sensor and got it to idle at 900 rpm, then was going to put in gear to see what idle would be, as soon as I touched brake pedal it whent back to 1125 rpm. Disconnect batterys for an hour and did the push pedal down slowly and release, no change, have done this 3 times.
What else can I try? Shows no codes, also temp gauge doesn't move.
Where are you in NC?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 AM

Tryon, Nc

Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Tryon, Nc
Theres a reputable in Salisbury, Luke is in Sylva and I'm in blowing rock. If one of us can help let me know.

The following users liked this post:
dieseldog NC (10-18-2013)
Old 11-17-2013, 01:31 PM

I was asking for HELP, to make repairs myself. Does anyone know how to check for high idle problem? And how to diagnose water temp gauge not working.
I've changed sensor on front top of engine beside radiator hose, no change

Last edited by dieseldog NC; 11-17-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

I was asking for HELP, to make repairs myself. Does anyone know how to check for high idle problem? And how to diagnose water temp gauge not working.
I've changed sensor on front top of engine beside radiator hose, no change
Unfortunately most shops myself included use our knowledge as intellectual property. We use this as compensation to feed our families and we're not typically interested in giving it away for free. Secondly to correctly diagnose issues such as these we use scan tools amd equipment that often cost $10k plus and subscription services that cost $100's a month. That being said most vehicles that have been maintained or repaired by the owner has far more problems or higher repair bills simply because the owner may have known how to repair it but lacked the ability or procedures that professionals use to repair vehicle. Kinda goes back to.momma sayung "because you can doesnt mean you should".
So while I'd be glad to help, I'd have to charge . I hope you dont take this offensively, if you do I suggest walking in to amy business of any type and asking how they do their job because you want to do it with theor knowledge for free. Im sure youll get the same result.
However if you still try and fix it youreself you came to the right place. This place is full of wrong information and people who think they know things that I can tell they dont know . Just like the rest of the internet you need the ability to decifer good knowledge from bad knowledge. You might say that you are a mechanic or technician. If thats the case please invest in further training. A technician wouldn't be here asking this. We've seen an influx in the field of parts changers. And the make all shops look bad.
Please take this as a presp3ctive of a business owner... not that im trying to be a jerk.

Last edited by mysterync; 11-17-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:20 PM

Here's what I constantly run into. Every Shop SAYS they are experienced professionals
Just after I purchased my personal 2001 ram I had local Dodge Diesel Repair Shop Install
banks exhaust Fass 150 pump and Quadzilla programmer. told them I wanted all removed parts. Well when went to pick it up that's not what happened.
The Fass pump was mounted under the cab instead of under bed by fuel tank, Neatless to say
fuel pressure was at 13psi idling and 7psi at wot. Yes injector pump took a dump. Not their
fault of coarse.. When you can show me a Mechanic that can do what he say's he can
and for the price agreed on, then maybe I'll reconsider letting someone else under the
hood. AND NO this is not the first bad experience with so called professionals including
our local Hendersonville Dodge Dealership.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Here's what I constantly run into. Every Shop SAYS they are experienced professionals
Just after I purchased my personal 2001 ram I had local Dodge Diesel Repair Shop Install
banks exhaust Fass 150 pump and Quadzilla programmer. told them I wanted all removed parts. Well when went to pick it up that's not what happened.
The Fass pump was mounted under the cab instead of under bed by fuel tank, Neatless to say
fuel pressure was at 13psi idling and 7psi at wot. Yes injector pump took a dump. Not their
fault of coarse.. When you can show me a Mechanic that can do what he say's he can
and for the price agreed on, then maybe I'll reconsider letting someone else under the
hood. AND NO this is not the first bad experience with so called professionals including
our local Hendersonville Dodge Dealership.
You pretty much summed up the entire industry. Theres very few folks interested in hard work and taking pride in their work. Their much more interested in a paycheck. From my experiences often dealerships offer less qualified technicians than indy shops simply because indy shops have a broader vehicle base they service. Dealer techs are typically trained on new vehicles not older models.
Theres alot of shops out there that dont care to provide quality work then theres some that really do try. Unfortunately between poorly maintained vehicles and lacking communication between the shop and vehicle owner theres often conflict. I recommend visiting a shop and checking out their knowledge first, get to know them before trusting them with your truck. You wouldn't belive how many "mechanics" are posting on forums just like this one asking for help. Not that theres anything wrong with that but theres resources for that such as IATN.
Don't put all shops in one category. Unfortunately most performance shop are started inexperienced folks with no clue. Lord knows thats where I started but I took initiative to learn and grow.
As for as the price qutoed. Thats not going to happen from a repair standpoint in some cases. Doesn't really matter if they want too charge more or not. We're all here to feed our familys and if something unseen or unavoidable cost us money we MUST raise the price. In some cases you run into something that you just can't do for the quoted price. We typically add 40% to book hour when writing estimates. If it doesn't take as long we knock it down. Its better to under promis and over deliver. Book hour is what most shops estimate jobs with, with a 5-10 year old vehicle its not even a relevant time.

Last edited by mysterync; 11-19-2013 at 06:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dieseldog NC (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 06:55 PM

Thanks for your response.