24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

timing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing question

I have a 01 24v with 291k. Is it possible to turn up the timing for hp? Or advance the timing on the vp enough for more fuel and power? Thanks

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Do people do this?

Last edited by Grat123; 10-16-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

yes. most performance boxes and programmers have the ability to add timing.

I run 10* advanced for 45% of the RPM range and have it back off in increments as rpm's pass 45% until they become stock again.

timing is great for bottom end power, lower EGT's, and better fuel economy, but it hurts top end power and can cause surging under high boost conditions in the upper RPM range. but having a vp44 means timing is dynamic rather than static, so you can get the best of both if your box does not do static timing only.

I have the adrenaline with pulse that I custom tuned to my truck. smarty is also able to let the user adjust timing and allows for dynamic timing.

edge, ts MVP, etc do not allow the user to adjust timing, but they seem to do alright with how they are pre-set.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Diesel Fan

Well i dont have a box but i think that my truck is advanced. What are some symptoms of advanced timing? I get white smoke at start up that stinks like unbuned fuel than goes away! Once warm i get on her an its black! Also getting p0216 but power is there!?

Old 10-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Diesel Wrench

that means your vp44 injection pump is on borrowed time.

the vp44 is very sensitive to fuel pressure and fuel flow/lubricity.

you want to keep a minimum of 10psi input pressure at all times the engine is running to it.

14+ psi is better as it keeps the overflow valve open to help lubricate and cool the injection pump by keeping fuel constantly flowing through it.

fuel is the only source of coolant and lubrication for that injection pump. if it is not kept cool the electronics fry in it which causes issues like the one you are experiencing.

lubrication keeps the mechanical side of it happy. for lubrication the best is to run B5 soypower biodiesel, and there are some other great additives for diesel as well like opti-lube. I personally run supertech tc-w3 2-cycle oil at 128:1 mix ratio with my fuel for increased lubricity in the fuel.

as for keeping fuel pressure up, I have a 150gph lift pump that gives it 20psi at idle and 16psi at WOT with my fueling box set to kill (slang for maximum power setting)

if you don't have a fuel pressure gauge yet, time to get one and see what your fuel pressure is at...

Old 10-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Diesel Fan

I tested flow on my lp and in 25 sec it produced alot of fuel. I dont understand tho it white smokes a little at idle but when i drop it in gear it dumps. As soon as its warmer it clears up and when i get on her its black! The engines not stock and original owner could have manualy advanced it? Iv been reading and seen that the vp keyway could be a tooth off? Could this be for power reasons? I appriciate all your help. Chasing this prob has given me a head ACk

Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Diesel Wrench

no, having timing off a tooth will just cause problems... timing is all computer controlled on the vp44. only way to adjust it is electronically.

the white smoke is caused by a timing failure, or possibly a cracked injector tip.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Diesel Fan

But I get very really good MPG? The original owner supposably had a shop put new rings rods bearings and head gasket on. Its got a big holeset Turbo on it and that's all. I was getting p0123 I adjusted my apps and than got p0122. It lightly serges when I first drop it in gear.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you actually check your fuel pressure. fuel Volume and fuel pressure are two different birds.
So I'll ask how did you check your fuel?

Old 10-19-2013, 10:51 AM
Diesel Fan

I. ook the rubber hose off the fuel pump and put it in a water bottle and bumped it. It overflowed the water bottle in 4 sec. Iv been saving every little penny for a new vp44 so I haven't bought the fuel pressure gage Iv been looking at yet.or the fass pump I wanna get.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Diesel Wrench

cheapest most reliable setup is going to be an isspro EV gauge mechanical 0-30psi with a 1/8NPT male to female needle valve and 6' of 1/8" napa airbrake line

Quick Reply: timing question