24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Turbo Innercooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Turbo Innercooler

Information needed;

I have read everything available on various Diesel web sites and folks say "You need to clean and test your Innercooler" but no one tells how to do it. Is it similar to a Radiator? Do you plug one end and fill it with cleaning xxx? Just exactly "What do you do"

I would appreciate some advice from those that really have done it and know.

Thank's Kerley

Old 09-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

do you suspect you have a boost leak or something?

yes, it is similar to a radiator, but much larger and positioned infront of the radiator and behind the AC cooler.

unless you got in a wreck it is highly unlikely that your intercooler has a leak on a stock truck... I run 75PSI of boost through my stock intercooler and it does just fine.

you can clean the fins with a garden hose or compressed air... just an overgrown radiator without the liquid

The following users liked this post:
kerley (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 04:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Innercooler

Originally Posted by kerley
Information needed;

I have read everything available on various Diesel web sites and folks say "You need to clean and test your Innercooler" but no one tells how to do it. Is it similar to a Radiator? Do you plug one end and fill it with cleaning xxx? Just exactly "What do you do"

I would appreciate some advice from those that really have done it and know.

Thank's Kerley
Thank you very much for the reply. My innercooler is not damaged in any way. I was driving on the freeway and herd a loud "POP" then the Turbo started singing. I don't know exactly what happened but I examined the innercooler hoses and it appears that one of the lower ones has split, with 202K I am not complaining at all. I have been getting poor fuel mileage for a long time. My plan is to re-boot the T-cooler and check the Turbo and install a Boost guage and BHAF and adjust the valves. Hopefully that will solve my problems.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kerley
Thank you very much for the reply. My innercooler is not damaged in any way. I was driving on the freeway and herd a loud "POP" then the Turbo started singing. I don't know exactly what happened but I examined the innercooler hoses and it appears that one of the lower ones has split, with 202K I am not complaining at all. I have been getting poor fuel mileage for a long time. My plan is to re-boot the T-cooler and check the Turbo and install a Boost guage and BHAF and adjust the valves. Hopefully that will solve my problems.
probably had a IC boot pop off or get cut on the fender next to it...

leave it to dodge to put an intercooler boot next to a sharp edge so that if the boot expands enough, that edge will cut into it...

if you need to replace them, then you might as well upgrade while you're at it... vulcan performance sells stronger silicone IC boots with stronger spring clamps. helps prevent then from popping off or the boot expanding under high boost pressures.

your intercooler itself will be fine. they can always use a good rinse to get the dead bug guts off of them though