24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

new truck questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new truck questions

hey guys im new to diesels i have a 99 ram with a 24v cummins the guy i got it from told me i needed to fill up at half a tank and im looking for some insight as to how i can check and or fix this issue it had an airdog 150 on it as well any info would be great

Thanks guys!!

Old 09-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome! What you probably have is a draw straw that was not installed right. The fix to this is empty the tank and put in a longer draw straw. When you do this, make sure that the tank is supported in its normal position, either by lifting the bed or removing the tank completely and placing it on sawhorses, then cutting the draw straw.

What you have is called the 1/4 tank issue.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

How many gallons does it take to fill it at 1/2 tank? It could be that the fuel level sender in the tank is bad. If it is the level sender you will have to replace the whole tank module (Modified fuel module) or fix your current one. My gauge reads 1/2 tank when its empty too.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bryce
How many gallons does it take to fill it at 1/2 tank? It could be that the fuel level sender in the tank is bad. If it is the level sender you will have to replace the whole tank module (Modified fuel module) or fix your current one. My gauge reads 1/2 tank when its empty too.
it usually takes 10-15 gallons depends on how close to half a tank i run it

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Originally Posted by stodg73
Welcome! What you probably have is a draw straw that was not installed right. The fix to this is empty the tank and put in a longer draw straw. When you do this, make sure that the tank is supported in its normal position, either by lifting the bed or removing the tank completely and placing it on sawhorses, then cutting the draw straw.

What you have is called the 1/4 tank issue.
where can i find a replacement draw straw?

Last edited by 99cummins929; 09-09-2013 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Geno's Garage at Geno's Garage.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by stodg73
Geno's Garage at Geno's Garage.
Alright cool thanks for the help man another question ifyou know can you tell me how to tell what injectors I have? The truck has a good bit done but I didn't get much info on it from the previous owner and I'm just trying to figure it all out any help is appreciated

Old 09-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

only true way to tell is to get the holes pinned.

you can tell if they are aftermarket performance or not by driving it without electonic power adders...

Old 09-12-2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by jigabop
only true way to tell is to get the holes pinned.

you can tell if they are aftermarket performance or not by driving it without electonic power adders...
im guessing by electronic power adders you mean like a programmer if so i dont have one yet how can i tell if there aftermarket that way?

Old 09-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

bone stock truck without a programmer or injectors can barely get out of it's own way...

truck with injectors is pretty peppy and tends to roll out a little smoke if you mash on the skinny pedal... (depending on size of the injectors) and boost will be higher than what a stock truck can do...

Old 09-12-2013, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by jigabop
bone stock truck without a programmer or injectors can barely get out of it's own way...

truck with injectors is pretty peppy and tends to roll out a little smoke if you mash on the skinny pedal... (depending on size of the injectors) and boost will be higher than what a stock truck can do...

No programmer it will get up and go pretty quick and roll a pretty good cloud of black smoke has straight 4" exhaust to 6" stacks in the bed is there an easy way to hook up a boost gauge temporaraly to see how much boost I'm pushing without getting a boost bolt or drilling into the intake?

Quick Reply: new truck questions