24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

P0234 p0236 p0216

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0234 p0236 p0216

New to this forum appreciate any advice as I am having some issues with my 2000 ram 2500. I am getting dead pedal until it warms up With 0216 0234 0236 codes( summertime in connecticut so its not exactly cold). I realize the significance of the 0216 code. What's confusing me is the other codes which seem to point towards MAP sensor and waste gate issues. Seems odd to get all those codes at the same time? I am hesitant to order a new vp44 due to the 234 236 codes. I do not want to start chasing this problem by throwing parts at it hoping something works.

Does anyone know of any relationship or significance to seeing these codes together? Aside from the expense, I would be relieved if a new vp fixed everything, but I'm worried I'm going to replace the injection pump and not have fixed the problem.

I did take out the MAP and give it a good cleaning and the harness appears to be in good condition. the waste gate arm is not frozen or stuck in the open position either. No idea about the diaphragm, have not taken it off the truck to get a real good look.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:56 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I'd be looking at your MAP sensor before getting too worried. Check the connector, wire harness, and sensor for physical damage.

Any mods to the truck?

If you have a chip with a display, bring up MAP and watch the value while driving. See if it is erratic.

Clearing the codes, and going for another drive may be a good idea. Some of the codes may be stored from the past.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:09 AM

The truck is stock; I have cleared the codes a couple times but they keep coming right back. I think the MAP is original? Don't know what the life expectancy of a MAP is so replacing it may be a good idea. Will see if I can get my hands on one today.

Would a bad MAP throw the 0216 and 0234 as well??

Have a hard time believing all three things are independent and not somehow related to each other.

Thx for reply

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also, just checked voltages on map sensor. .5 on signal wire and 5 v on supply. I've read that's good.

Last edited by Echo driver; 08-22-2013 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-22-2013, 12:32 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had same codes, started appearing this past December. Dead pedal occasionally, accompanied by inconsistent throttle response. Replaced MAP sensor, code disappeared after DTC clear. Came back a day later, then would throw low voltage codes for TPS and MAP, then throw high voltage codes. Replaced TPS finally in February, still has the codes to this day after tracing every wire, cleaned and checked every plug and connection. The truck still runs but has a really weird feel to the fuelng/timing advance in higher RPM. I am almost positive it is injection pump now. Well now that my novel is finished, just curious, what kind of fuel pressure are you getting to the IP??

Old 08-22-2013, 02:26 PM

Well, it's a new truck ( to me), have not had it but a week. Had it shipped up from Texas sight unseen; had third party mechanic inspect and drive it and didn't see these issues? price you pay to get a rust free 2000 in Connecticut I guess? First thing I did was put a fass pump in it. I don't know the fuel pressure Yet but do have a fp gauge on order. I ordered a map sensor today, but am not very hopeful it will be the fix I need. I am guessing a vp44 will be getting ordered soon, but want to wait until I get a new map sensor installed on the off chance it is the culprit of the 0216 code as well. It is going to be a real nice truck for Connecticut when I get it all ironed out.

I'm not a diesel guy but have been reading everything I can for the past couple months as I was searching for the truck. Really want to get this solved soon. Unbelievable machine when it is "acting right"

One thing that I was thinking was grounding issues?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What pump was on the truck before you added the Fass? If it was the stock one I would lean even more towards IP (especially hearing that it has no FP guage installed yet). I hope that you find that it is just a short somewhere and can fix the problem. Good Luck!

Old 08-24-2013, 07:01 AM

The pump I pulled off says carter on it, I believe that is the stock pump. Had a map sensor overnighted from genos garage (Pretty nice folks to deal with). Drove it cold this morning for about 15 minutes and it behaved flawlessly with no codes. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed; and obviously set aside some money for an IP that one would think is in my future. For now I can move on to packing wheel bearings and replacing a rear pinion seal.