24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Please Help Diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Diagnose

Hey Guys,

I need your help. I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500, 6 speed manual. First, here are the mods that are on the truck. I have a Quadzilla Adrenaline programer, Fass 150, 5 inch MBRP exhaust, and autometer gauges (Fuel Pressure, exhaust temp, and boost).

Now for what is going on. The last two days I will be driving down the road and the engine will just quite for no apparent reason. After coasting to the side of the road the truck will quickly re-fire like nothing happened. I though it might be my injection pump going bad but it fires right up with very little cranking after it quits. And now today when going through the gears particular 3,4, and 5 when you rev the engine past 2,000 rpms the engine chirps and kind of sputters but continues to run.

Does anyone have a diagnosis of what the problem may be. Any help or advice given would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jake

Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 PM
BOMBARDIER
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Take off the Quadzilla and see what it does

Luke

Old 08-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

any codes?

and are you throttling hard and letting off? or???

Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine did the exact same thing when the ip died, just shut down randomly until one day it would barely idle. Sometimes I could throw it in neutral and start it back up while driving. Did not throw any codes at all!
Not trying to scare you just sharing experience

Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 PM

It does it no matter how I drive it. Easy, hard, and between. The only code that shows up is the one that has been on since the installation of the quadzilla.

I think I will take the module off for a few days and see if it will act up with it off. If it acts up I know its not the programer then.

Thanks for the help guys. We will see what it does in the next day or two.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

Check you battery cables, because if you have a loose connection it can be jumping connections and shutting and turning of your ECM

Old 08-14-2013, 10:04 PM

Update:

Tonight I took off the quadzilla programer and drove the truck into town and it was still doing the same thing and died on me on the way back home. It again fired right back up and I drove it the remain way home. So the programer was not the source of the problem....

My battery connections are actually fairly good so I don't believe that is the cause of the problem. But I will double check that in the morning.

Looks like I will have to do some more research to see if the injection pump is the cause of the problem.

Thanks for the help guys keep the suggestions coming if you have any.

Jake

Old 08-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Diesel Fan

The computer box "PSG" on the injection pump sounds like it is starting to fail. There is also a sensor inside the pump "IAT" that is connected to the PSG that has a high failure rate too. Unfortunately you can't just replace these parts with out getting a new/reman injection pump. If you narrow it down to the injection pump I have had several friends buy from Advanced Metal and Diesel products and have been very happy. diesel.advmp.com. Good Luck!