24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Who is the best 24V Mechanic / tech here..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who is the best 24V Mechanic / tech here..?

I have some questions I need Answered....I have just sank nearly 5500.00 into my 1999 mechanically...and it has LESS overall power and torque now than it had with busted head, and clapped out Turbo broken before....????? What Am I missing.....

Here is the List of things replaced at local Shop...

New Head,
New 150 injectors ( what was in it before )
New used Turbo
New 3 piece Exhaust manifold
New injection pump ( lift pump is Checking and Performing fine )
put an Edge 65hp 3 position chip on it
Edge CSR Gauges, ( electronic off OBD2 Port )
replaced Silicone hoses on inner cooler

I pull a 28 ft Goose Horse trailer with this truck, and before with broken Valve, bad turbo and tired injectors it had better power than it does now.....I am Lost...??
It will boost to 22psi without the Edge chip in place, and it reads a False 17.5 psi with Chip in place, but regardless, it feels as if something is Governing my fuel at top end....?

HELP PLEASE......
Call me if you like, I am up late

Thanks, John
541-232-9958

Last edited by 64crew4x4; 07-30-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:14 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What were your boost levels at before w your old turbo? Maybe your wastegate is set too low on your new Used turbo?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:02 AM
Diesel Fan

I had no Gauges before, so I have no Idea...??

it is acting like a Lack of Fuel issue...

I can put my foot into the floor with this thing and with the 150 injectors, I am still getting ZERO SMOKE....from dead stop to lock up in converter and up to 80 mph....???

Also, At 1/4 throttle / pedal It will shift smooth from stop all the way up thru and into Lock up... And I can mash it to the floor, and it reacts the same.....Before, if I mashed it, It would pin you in the seat smoke like a Coal burner should, I would lose the traffic behind me, and it wouldn't clean up the smoke till I got off of it....?????

I Am at a complete Loss here....The thing pulled my trailer home from Florida Broken with better power than I have now All fresh....

Is there any major differences in CC rating in the Heads from year to year..?

Also, I did buy a J/y turbo.....it feels good, and looks good, I did not look to verify it was an HX35 ( stock ) or possibly an HX30...? Appear to be the same outside, but slightly different Inners...? could that slight difference cause this..? I am seeing an absolute LACK OF SMOKE....only time I get it is on fire up....and it does fire up great Cold or Hot....turn key, and instant bark to Life....

A confused Sad Man....:scar e2:

Old 07-31-2013, 09:17 AM

whats the low side fuel volume feeding the injection pump?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

didn't see that you already checked that. . Does your edge box tap the wire to the injection pump. when i bought my truck they put a new injection pump on it and it had
no power. found that they didn't have the pump wire hooked up. good luck

Last edited by Crock; 07-31-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

so wait it had 150hp injectors before, and now it has "new" 150hp injectors or stock injectors???

if you have an HX35 and "150hp" injectors, even without that edge box you should be pegging 35psi easily out of a stock turbo...

something doesn't add up here... I think they put stock injectors back in...

also that edge sounds like an edge EZ. in that case...there is no wire tap fueling... hence why he said 65hp box.. wiretap would make it a 120hp+ box..

Old 07-31-2013, 08:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jigabop
so wait it had 150hp injectors before, and now it has "new" 150hp injectors or stock injectors???

if you have an HX35 and "150hp" injectors, even without that edge box you should be pegging 35psi easily out of a stock turbo...

something doesn't add up here... I think they put stock injectors back in...

also that edge sounds like an edge EZ. in that case...there is no wire tap fueling... hence why he said 65hp box.. wiretap would make it a 120hp+ box..
yea if you have 150hp injectors it should be hitting at least 35psi. when i had my stock turbo with the 150s i could hit 45psi.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:31 PM
Diesel Fan
Default more info

So today, after installing a 3rd INJ. Pump....had wrong part number on the last one..??

It does have NEW 150 Injectors....
it still drove weak...NO SMOKE.... Took it to the Dealership and plugged in to the BIG computer, it pulled a p1285 or PO1285....
I found this info for that code....
P1285-FUEL INJECTION PUMP CONTROLLER ALWAYS ON

That being said...they cleared the ECM, reflashed it, and He drove it back to his shop...

He called me from the shop to report it Smoked leaving the dealer, and EGT actually climbed to 1100 and boost went to 32 psi...??? So ...?? Why would INJ Pump Controller be stuck in on position, and if so, would that cause the weak fuel issue..? I would think the opposite...??

This was without the Edge Chip plugged into it....

Old 08-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

sounds like maybe it got into some form of limp mode?

Old 08-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Diesel Fan
Default PRoblem Solved...? IT WAS FM......

So when All else fails, take it to the Dealer and Have the ECM reflashed.....

After a week of Fruitless trouble shooting, shop took my truck to the dealer and Had the ECM reflashed....Problem gone...???? We will attribute it to FM ( F***ing MAGIC )

Now I am going to flogg the thing locally for 4-500 miles over the weekend and see if I can re create the poor run condition before i take off on another 12-14k run....

Keep you all posted, I hope it is Happy FINALLY.....POWER IS AWESOME.....

Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Diesel Fan
Default Problem SOLVED.....

So last I popped in here was right before taking my truck cross country on a transport run....The Mechanic Had taken my truck to the Dealer and had it Re-flashed....And that fixed the Fuel issue...HE doesn't know why, but it did.... Get out your BEER and Popcorn.....

Well...Now I know Why it did.....So Before I owned this truck someone had put a Edge Juiced With Attitude or some other Ginormous Piggy back computer in the thing....when they did so, they scotch locked into all the needed sensors and components....When they were done with this poor truck, they pulled everything back off, leaving SEVERAL WIRES EXPOSED to the elements....

One of these wire sets....happened to be the MAP SENSOR wiring.....

I drove my truck 500 miles with the Edge on 3 and got 22mpg empty....driving it like I stole it....I was very happy....I was still worried about returning to LIMP MODE....

I hooked up to my 28 ft Goose trailer, and took off for the East Coast....2300 miles LAter in Oklahoma, Guess what, LIMP MODE returned....I had 7 Codes, all wrapped around Fuel delivery issues.....And the Most telling was one for LACK OF COMMUNICATION to ECM....???
Truck still ran, I even got it to run at 60mph for 2 hrs till I got to a town with a Parts house...Nothing over 60 mph though, No EGT's sat at 600, and No giddy up....No Turbo....Felt like I was in a 1989 NA truck with a Dead Automatic tranny....

First thing I went to do was unplug the Edge....and thats when I found the Wiring FUBAR.....2 of the 3 wires to the MAP SENSOR were exposed, frayed, and touching each other...?????? One only had about 2-3 strands of wire holding it together...think that might cause a LACK OF COMMUNICATION ISSUE..???? Called my So called Diesel Mechanic to ask him how this might have happened....? And his response was, "" OH yeah, we saw that too...."" WTF.....??? You charge me 160.00 to fix a sensor on the other side of the Head when you worked on the Head, but you don't Fix the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT SENSOR WIRES on the Motor..??? If I could have reached thru the phone I'd have punched him stupid right then and there.... So I soldered the broken wires for both, and shrink wrapped them for safety sake.....Had to Buy a New Map Sensor 130.00....And Now....

Trucks been Running like a Champ Since....

And this is Why I wrench on my own rides......UGH.....Rant Over with....Thanks For letting me VENT.....