Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

hi guys i am a first time diesel owner, i went out and picked up 99 dodge 2500. it has 220xxx miles on it a newer tranny, straight piped, and a K&N air filter. now i wanted to chip the truck, but i have heard ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2013, 04:43 PM

View Member's Albums

Default 1st time diesel owner looking for more power

hi guys i am a first time diesel owner, i went out and picked up 99 dodge 2500. it has 220xxx miles on it a newer tranny, straight piped, and a K&N air filter. now i wanted to chip the truck, but i have heard i need to do other upgrades as well as the time time? if someone could pass on a little knowlage that would be awsome!!
thanks for the help!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

lift pump first! also get a gauge for it, dont want under 10psi at wot. some programmers have fuel pressure monitor as in the edge j/w attidude. you just wanting some minor power still towing, or no towing lots of power?

lauber_03's Sig:02 ext cab 4x4 short bed - SOLD
2012 cclb 6 speed manual mbrp 4in exhaust, s&b intake, 6 inch fabtech lift and 37's.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:15 AM

View Member's Albums

not really looking for towing purposes, mostly just looking for power. and whats a good moderately priced lift pump?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

The goal is to roll coal!

Last edited by stevenjames92; 06-09-2013 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

you can get a good pureflow raptor frrp for under 300. programmer wise there is quite a few that'll do. i like my edge personally cause it can monitor a lot at once.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:17 PM
BOMBARDIER

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

Originally Posted by stevenjames92 View Post
not really looking for towing purposes, mostly just looking for power. and whats a good moderately priced lift pump?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

The goal is to roll coal!
If thats the goal then take the truck back. You can make power without alot of smoke. Its more impressive to make tire smoke than exhaust smoke. Plus every window licker out there running around blowing black smoke at everyone is why the EPA has come down so hard on diesels in the last 2 years. Please dont be like them. "Roal Responsibly".

vcustoms86's Sig:2000 5.9 BD Diesel, AirDog, SouthBend, Banks, AFE, MBPR, Dynomite Diesel,VGT Swap, and a few custom parts.
2007 Dodge Magnum SRT-8 Mopar CAI, Zoomers Exhaust, Bully Dog tuned
Projects:
1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe Coupe Gasser, 1946 Mercury Business Sedan Coupe Cruiser

Wisdom is not derived from age but rather experience.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:36 PM

View Member's Albums

with power comes coal. im not that jerkoff thats gonna throw coal everywhere he goes. only on occasion to show it off a little bit.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:52 PM
BOMBARDIER

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile View Member's Youtube Account

Originally Posted by stevenjames92 View Post
with power comes coal.
With over fueling and a lack of air, comes smoke. Tune it right it will barley smoke. Plus, the more it smokes, the more fuel you are wasting and thats money out of your pocket. With that, the truck needs a lift pump. The factory one on the VPs suck so that should be the first thing. An Edge Comp box would be good if you want to do your own guages or the Edge Juice if you want built in gauges. If its an auto I would put money into that before the programmer. If you have a manaul you can do the programmer and see how your clutch will handle it and upgrade that if it wont hold it.

Last edited by vcustoms86; 06-11-2013 at 12:55 PM..
Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 PM

View Member's Albums

it is an auto, what kind of upgrades would you suggest for the tranny?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Diesel Fan

Upgrade your lift pump first. Like everyone else said they're known to fail which in turn wipes out your VP44 and then your talkin 1100 bucks minimum. After that i'd look, again as was stated, to upgrade your trans. The toque convertor and valve body are the weaker points in these transmissions due to lower shift pressures. It all depends on how much power your looking to make. I have a smarty with a edge comp box hot unlock stacked on mine and it really made her come alive but i have to watch now cause she will push over 40psi. I guess it all depends what horsepower range are you looking to achieve.

pimba24's Sig:1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins
K&N Air Intake, BD-Power Performace Elbow, Smarty Tuner, Edge Comp Box Hot Unlock, MBRP 5" Turbo Back Straight Pipe, 6" MBRP Tip, Air Dog II 165gph, PDI Exhaust Manifold, Three Gauge Pillar Pod AutoMeter Gauges: Pyro, Fuel Pressure, Boost. Hell Bent Steel 2.5" Leveling Kit. 285/75/R16 Toyo Open Country M/T.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

I'd put on arp headstuds too,bigger exhaust

chadcycle 2500's Sig:2001 Ram 2500 4WD,4.10'sFass lift pump,ATS Copilot,Glowshift gauges.K&NColdair,Bigger boost elbow, Gearvendor overdrive,(now in!) custom lock up & overdrive control switches, 4in exhaust,all new guides&exhaust valves,plained , ARP head studs,.020 mahle pistons, clevite bearings,block deck surface planed, KDP, red head steering box, someday programer or RV275 injectors

submit to reddit