24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

dually to single conversion dwr to srw

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dually to single conversion dwr to srw

I have found some similar posts, but hope its cool to start a more specific one here.
I understand many of the pros and cons. I may do this to get better mpg and snow performance. My truck wil not be hauling 40 foot goosenecks, I know I will be making payload towability sacrifices.
I just picked up a 2002 dodge diesel 3500 4x4 5 speed flatbed. It will occasionally carry a lightweight popup camper and be a general purpose truck.

I have been told all need to do is switch the rear hubs to dana 80's remove the spacers on the front and mount stock dodge single wheels all around.
ask a stupid question get a stupid answer: Is there no way to use the stock dually wheels, even if it looks funny to some as single wheels and have the tires properly in line?
reson being, Id have two spares still and could more readily go back to 6 wheels all around if need be.
maybe I can somehow space the rear with current hub, and mount some chariot piercing armor to spin where the outside wheel would have been mounted.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about all that , but I am down to the body work on the bed after my conversion. What I started with was a 01 ram 3500 4x4. I had a set of stock 05 alloy wheels that I mounted 285 75 17 nitto highway terains on. On the front of the truck I removed the wheel adapters and added 1 1/2 spacers, no rub. On the back I simply installed my new wheels. I left the studs in the rear uncut in case I ever wanted a flat bed dually. I currently have all of the holes from the fat fenders pluged up. I ordered a set of wheel well arches off of e bay and will be repairing that in the next week or so. My rear wheel track is about 1" wider than the front. I my post some pics of the job if their is a interest. Do your home work and make sure its what you want. I have no regrets and amore useable truck for my needs.

The following users liked this post:
wyocoyote (07-07-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

Why would ya wanna do that to a good dually. Just pick up a dually bed and keep it that way. Its all the truck you will ever need. you can still get really decent fuel mileage out of a dually. Hell, I get 23.5 mpg out of mine with the modest mods in my sig. I am running thin highway tires on mine at full 80 psi pressure tho.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad you are happy with your set up. A conversion like this is not for every body , and body work to fix one of these beds is not for a rookie. That is why most people buy a new bed. I don't need a dually I just bought it because it was cheap and had less than 80,000 mile on it. I would have liked to have found a 3/4 t in this shape but they were all thrashed. I am also not afraid to personalize a vehicle to my needs. Dodge did not make a srw in 01. So I fixed it

Old 06-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 310 Likes on 299 Posts

I hear ya! Make it yours bro. That sounds like a pretty good find tho. I did not know that Dodge didnt make a srw in 01.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case I have a flatbed and wont be doing any bed switching. Homegrowguitars states:
On the front of the truck I removed the wheel adapters and added 1 1/2 spacers, no rub.
he is using 285 75 17 nitto Hwy tires. I'll be running close to stock size 16's for now but want to be able to go up to some wider 33 all terrains.
I like that he or she " left the studs in the rear uncut in case I ever wanted a flat bed dually" I did not know that could be done, cool.
Is there any issue with keeping my dually wheels and using them as single. was wondering if I couldnt perhaps remove the outer rear wheels and flip the inners. I'm sure there is a reason why I cant, but don't know it. thanks for helping me with my homework!
I thought I would have to switch hub assemblies of some kind. Dont know what stight differences in rear wheel track would mean handling wise but seems I'd sure want the same or a little wider in the back?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Bigg Redd
Lets just say like in Homegrown guitars reply, I got my reasons for going from dwr to srw ( or I think I do and want to try it), I, like, him will try and leave flexibility to easily return to dual rear whells when needed. That 23 mpg w mileage is impressive. I cant run full pressure until I replace my shocks. Only getting around 15 with my 5 speed, but low pressure in the meantime. Let me know what else you did. a side note I guess i may have to have the ABS reprogrammed for different tire sizes?

Last edited by wyocoyote; 07-07-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 434 Likes on 356 Posts

Tire size has nothing to do with the ABS