24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

new to 5.9 cummins and want to beef it up , newbie here.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to 5.9 cummins and want to beef it up , newbie here.

Good day fellas. soon to be the big day. dropping a 98.5 5.9 cummins 24V in my chevy 97 k style. i do not have block number 53" so thank god. now i know about the vp44 pumps how you cant let them starve for fuel. im use to the old 6.5 detroit diesels. i wanna beef up the cummins and get roughly 350- 400hp whp. now it is a 5 speed.

for the lift pump , whats the average fuel presure should the vp44 get at wot. im looking to buy a carter 150gpm fuel pump at 16 psi. cant afford them high priced airdogs. wouuld that do ? i will have fuel presure gauge.

for injectors. now do injectors make that much of a diff? what is it just bigger nozzle tips? cause if so i can buy nozzle tips "200hp" and swap out my stock nozzles on my current injectors. and whats the pop pressure they should be set at??

exhaust . i will have a 4" DP with 4 " straight pipe back

safe EGT's ive heard 1400*F correct?

Turbo. i have an hx40 thats gonna be installed on it. now my question is. how do i control the boost pressurre? is it the more fuel the boost will climb automaticly?( with a chip ) ?

whats max boost i should be seeing on a stock cummins. no ARP studs****

Now for chips. i hear people comboing chips togethor? like a smarty with an edge how is that possible and why ? dont you use only one ?

AGain im NEW to cummins and i want to learn like everyone else. so taker easy on me, i do understand when talking motors , i am an auto mechanic. now please bare with me and help me tune up my cummins

Thanks guys if theres anything else i should know please add onnn !

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Carter P4601HP Carter Competition Series Electric Fuel Pumps

fuel pump im looking at^^^^

Last edited by guimond47; 05-10-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-10-2013, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

At WOT you need to stay above 10 psi, it is better to stay around 14 psi if possible.

Without studs you don't want to go over 50lbs of boost. **Just a general rule of thumb. Even though the head can lift at mid boost numbers with low rpms (High Cylinder Pressure).

I don't know much about the carter pumps other than the stock ones on these trucks are junk and carter is the maker of them.

The more fuel you add the more boost you will create.

Stacking modules/programmers is a semi common thing you have to get a pressure box and a timing box to make them work with out damaging the pickup.

You really need to get a FP, boost, tranny temp (auto), and a Pyrometer gauge along with a good solid LP. You can always do the Raptor lift pump from AirDog and use the stock filter or remote mount some filters.

Last edited by H.R.D; 05-10-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Diesel Fan

i already have all guages to do running the shitty 6.5 td. i had bought an hx 40 for the 6.5 and it maxed out at 20psi boost. and okay i was thinking around 35-38 lbs should do me good. and yea the raptor ones i was thinking about as well. is there a problem runnin the stock filter setup on these?

i have no idea what ur trying to explain with stacking moduals and something with a pressure box, if you care to explain a lil more on what i have to do to do this ? unless i just get edge ez program and modual and stick to that. i want the programer with most benefit if im going to spend the money...

Old 05-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

With the HX40 you will see about 30-35lbs of boost, more with injectors.

Not really a problem running the stock filter, it just doesn't filter down to 3 micron like aftermarket filters do. At least I haven't seen any that do.

Since you already have gauges just get an Edge Comp. It will give you plenty of power.

FYI

Module is a device that intercepts the signals going from the engine to the ECM and gives different signals that increase fuel, boost and other parameters to increase performance. (i.e. Edge Comp)

Programmer is a device that actually rewrites the ECM program to increase performance.(i.e. Smarty)

Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Diesel Fan

okay thanks alot! again what would be the point to have a smarty and and edge combo togethor? im looking for roughly 450hp MAX and 350Hp min. where do i start? thanks

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

also ive notice ( the tranny 5 speed) tht going into the chevy with the cummmins , nv4500, wont shift into 5th unless i turn off the truck shift to 5th and turn it back on.. again with i was testing the tranny there was no drive shaft and low on fluid, would that be the issue , can it be that the syncros are going on it ?

Last edited by guimond47; 05-10-2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-11-2013, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

Running the combo can give you a more responsive fuel curve. Good low end power and top end power. However, I have read when stacking people have actually lost overall hp.

It could be that the 5th gear nut has loosened up and is causing problems with shifting. It could also be syncros. You can always pull the tail end of the tranny housing off and take a look and see.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Diesel Fan

^omg yes . I hope its this . Rather then a new tranny ... You guys been a very big help thanks so for injectors should i get 200 or 150 with my hx 40 and 4 inch dp . Smarty or edge . If edge which model is the best?

Old 05-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I doubt it just that easy as the fifth gear nut backing off. usually when that happens you just loose fifth all together, but you can still shift into fifth. Reason all gears are always meshed together, and the syncros, and syncro dogs are what put the transmission into the selected gear. The NV4500 can be finicky if they are worn, They need to be shimmed to a tight tolerance, I have had a few of them apart, and rebuild them. At the end of the video, that big shifter fork. That is where fifth gear is shifted. most likely, there is some play in that bottom shaft, causing the shifting fork to bind up, and causing it not to slide into gear easily.
Parts aren't real expensive for those transmissions. But there are some speciality tools really needed to properly rebuild one. If you have patients and the talent to turn wrenches correctly then you could do the trans rebuild easily. Anaheim gear is a good source for parts. thats my .o2 worth. Good luck

Old 05-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Diesel Fan

Okay thanks alot for everyones opinion! I still havent got the chance to check the nut first . Again thats the simple start and if it isent that ill take ur advice and go to the next step. But i Bet the fluid level wouldnt matter cause its a mechanic shift by a humain. Anymore opinons on anything else i should do would be great just overal engine wprk and such! Im still learning cummins!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Ltk
Diesel Bomber
Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

with the smarty your only going to gain about 60~ hp on any setting. the difference in the 9 power levels is at what range it will give said power. some are for higher RPM power, some tunes for very low RPM power. any programmer that doesn't tap the injection pump wire will not supply any more than 60 hp. with an edge comp box you can tap the injection pump wire and get more horsepower. it all depends what you are wanting to do. most people either run smarty, edge comp/jwa, or an edge ez

Search this Thread