24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

VP44 questions / intermittent dead peal

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default VP44 questions / intermittent dead peal

I have another recent thread that helped me get closer to troubleshoot my intermittent dead pedal issue, but I thought I’d start a more specific one for this now that I know a bit more. Truck in my signature, 15-20 fuel psi at the VP44 but I’m getting p0216 and p1693 along with my intermittent dead pedal. Truck has 90K on it. Drives good, expect for this issue.Plenty of power, unless it intermittently misbehaves. Anyway…a couple of questions:

1. If it is the VP44, is there a better way to diagnose it to verify it is truly that (I’d hate to spend that much $ if it isn't the root cause)? I’m reading one way is to check the APPS with an analog voltmeter while driving the truck, hoping it misbehaves, when it does, check the volt meter to determine of the APPS is faulty. If it isn't – it’s the VP44. Is this true or is there a different, better way…or is this even necessary?

2. If it is the VP44, I’m reading this issue could be caused by the computer on top of the pump. Due to heat cycles, the solder joints / connections failures.
Is replacing only the computer a viable option for me, rather than replacing the pump)?

3. If I do have to replace the VP44, should I go new or rebuilt? Obviously I’d want a good one! Any preferred companies to go with or ones to stay away from (feel free to PM me if you prefer).

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Diesel Wrench
Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

p0216 dead give away needs new vp. you cant replace the module on top of the pump separate. Have to get an entire pump. Most replacement pumps youll find are rebuilt units. Just about every vp truck on the road is more than likely running a rebuilt pump.

The following users liked this post:
chuffysplace (04-11-2013)
Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Take a look at this Chris https://www.dieselbombers.com/98-5-0...ronic-fix.html Before trying it you may want to go ahead and get a new pump just incase it doesn't work. Here is some more info for you VP44 Diagnostic

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Set your edge to show throttle % and see if it drops to 0% when it acts up.

Last edited by Bryce; 04-11-2013 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
The following users liked this post:
chuffysplace (04-11-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it's fixed. APPS reset fixed it for me. No more codes, so far so good. I did file away Bryce's info though - this sounds very valuable to have one day. Might be a cheap fix. I think what might have caused my intermittent dead pedal was related to me leaving the headlights on for 3 hours or so. Although my batteries were good and the truck started fine, I had this issue ever since then and the codes along with it. The APPS reset, seemed to do the trick. No more codes either! Thanks again all.