24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

intermittent dead pedal / how to read DTC codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default intermittent dead pedal / how to read DTC codes

I have an intermittent dead pedal, and I just lose power all of the sudden. It eventually comes back. Strange issue. Just started happening. Fuel pressure right at the VP44 is 15-17 even WOT. No check engine light. I'm not sure what the issue could be. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, is there a easy way to read DTC codes, maybe using my EDGE CTS to do this (I didn't know if that is accurate). 90 K on the truck. Other that this intermittent issue that just started happening, truck runs great. Hopefully it's not the VP44!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Try the key trick. On, Off, On, Off, On and read the DTC codes in the odometer window.

With the dead pedal, you need to reset the APPS. Unhook both batteries, and turn on the headlight switch. Wait 30 minutes. Reconnect the batteries, turn on the truck(DO NOT START), press the accelerator pedal down and up slowly. Turn off truck. You have now reset the APPS. You may need to purchase an new APPS, however this will buy you some time..

Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

thank you for that. P0216, P1693. The APPS was replaced a long time ago (when it had 40K miles). I knew the previous owner, it was replaced, by the dealer.. he gave me the service records. Ok - I will try that and see what happens, if not, I'll have to look at replacing it.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

P1693 is a companion code.
P0216, VP44 injection timing code. Looks like it is time to start looking for a VP 44.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

oh my. that's what I thought. ugh. Is that pretty definite way to diagnose, or could it b something else?I'd like to be pretty darn sure before dropping the coin on one of these! didn't know if you or anyone else might know the answer to that. Thanks in advance all.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

You might be able to drive your truck for years or it could quit on you today.

You might try putting in 2 stroke oil in the fuel at 128:1 or 1 ounce to 1 gallon of diesel. It might buy you some time in order to get the monies together to get the new VP. I understand about not wanting to drop the money for a new VP 44. You might get a code reader and clear the codes and drive it some and see if the code returns after putting the 2 stroke oil in.

Here is an article about which type of 2 stroke oil to use.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Hey thanks once again for the info. I was able to use the Edge to clear and read the codes. They came back very quickly. ugh. I'll try to diagnose further, maybe look around, do some research. Maybe even start a new thread on that topic if I have to. If I can determine if it's definitely the VP44, I'll change it sooner than later!

Old 04-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i don't mean to hijack but i've been having a very similar issue... it all started in eastern WY driving up a hill. noticed CEL on and almost instantly after noticing light truck starts to run rough and loses almost all power, coast to rest stop luckily... truck is idling roughly... no power... will not start after shutoff. Normally i would have the tools to dx the situation myself but i'm in the middle of nowhere... middle of the night of course, no cell reception... payphoned the tow truck who comes and brings me to the official cummins repair shop in gillette. after some major bs with my aftermarket warranty company they say "warranty company won't pay but good news its just your DDRP lift pump thats failed please give us $500 to fix it all and that includes 2 hours of labor for diagnosis" i say FU sell me the lift pump and i'll go out in the ice and replace it myself... i relocated to frame rail for a reason. get back on my way east, CEL on again so i stop at autozone.. p0216 ... clear it and drive on. thing seems weaker going up hills doesn't want to make it over big hills and i felt it start to shudder again going up long hills, cel back on, i have no choice but to keep driving home.. make it all the way back to milwaukee and within sight of lake michigan dead pedal. idle it home. now the shop says they can't duplicate the problem, they got some apps code and something else but no p0216. (only reason i brought to shop is because i have stupid aftermarket warranty, who refuses at every turn to cover and i have to threaten lawsuit)
installed at the time of initial failure was quadzilla xzt+ on highest setting, ddrp, 2002 ho 6 speed. any pointers would be great, sorry for the long story. shop says i can take it home and drive it for a while stock to get the problem to come back if i want and they'll keep the work order open? is there any other way to dx the problem without having it completely take a crap or throw a code? i was at the end of the warranty mileage during this trip and the drive down to the shop (with the truck acting surprisingly normal) took me to the end of my 12000 miles.

Last edited by dillrepair; 04-11-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

We need to know what codes were stored in the computers on the truck. There are several codes that indicate VP 44 Failure. The p0216 means that the VP can no longer adjust the timing inside the pump. It will run, but not sure for how long, years or hours.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i almost feel like i should try to get it to break at this point... i'll ask about all the codes they found when i go tomorrow, but the shop its at has been really honest and worked with me about the warranty even removing the chip for me in case the warranty inspector comes so when they said they couldn't find anything suggesting the pump was failing i gotta believe them at this point, but i will check and get back here with it. seems like the only way to tell is to remove it and put it on a the bosch bench which the warranty co will not allow yet....

Edit: when you say run for years or hours... at normal performance levels or are we talking about reduced performance. seems like anything much less than original performance means its broken and should be replaced.

Quick Reply: intermittent dead pedal / how to read DTC codes