24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Guage install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guage install

I recently three autometer guages for my 2001 Cummins, I need to know where the best place to hook up 12 volt switched power and also the dimmer wire, also the best way to tap into that power, also do I just daisy chain all three of the power and dimmer switch wires together and run one wire for power and dimmer any help would be much appreciated

Old 04-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Yes you can daisy chain the switched power to every gauge, same with the dimmer to each gauge. The easiest place IMO to find switched power is to remove the knee panel below the steering column and use a DMM (digital multi-meter) to find switched power(a bundle of wires going up the steering column). Make sure you put a fuse on the new wire running from switched power to your gauges. 5 amp fuse should suffice. The best way to make the connections is to solder, however, for stuff like that I use T taps to make the connections. You can find T taps at any local autoparts store or major retail store that has mobile electronics stuff.

Last edited by H.R.D; 04-08-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:44 PM

what about a fuse tap, I heard this was the easiest way to accomplish this

Old 04-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

You can do that but I recommend the way I said earlier. The choice is yours my friend.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:16 PM

Ok and where should I mal the connection for the dimmer, I heard the dimmer unless you use one specific from autometer doesnt do much anyways, any problem in leaving the dimmer unhooked?

Old 04-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

No, you will just not have control of the lights from the gauges, these lights can be bright at times. The dimmer wire is easy to find, just remove the headlight switch and use a DMM while turning the dimmer **** to find the correct wire then T tap it. I would go ahead and hook it up if I was doing the install.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 PM

Damn, ya that sounds pretty damn easy not to do it but I am without a DMM I wonder if I could find a schematic that tells me the pin location of the dimmer **** supply

Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

I am sure you could find a schematic may be a tough find though. If you have a test light you can accomplish the same thing, I just recommend people use a DMM on newer vehicles because the residual power from a test light can do damage. With a 94 you will be fine.Plus DMMs give you so much more information than a simple test light.

***On a side note don't probe any wires that are warped in yellow tap or a yellow sleeve. Those are airbag wires and you can set one off.

Last edited by H.R.D; 04-08-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:29 PM

Ya I quit using test lights when I went to wyotech severely frowned upon these days, well I guess I will ask my neighbors if he has one, thanks for all the info it was very helpful

Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

This may help you out....

12volts red (40A), red (40A) + ignition harness
Starter yellow + ignition harness
Second Starter N/A
Ignition pink/white + ignition harness
Second Ignition pink/lt. green + ignition harness
Third Ignition pink/yellow (10 AWG)(3rd acc) + ignition harness
Notes: This wire is not required for remote start. It only provides power to the power window circuit.
Accessory dk. blue and pink/yel (16 AWG) + ignition harness
Second Accessory pink/yellow (14 AWG) + ignition harness
Keysense purple/tan - ignition harness
Power Lock purple/dk. green - driver kick, door harness
Notes: Lock is negative trigger thru an 820 ohm resistor. Unlock is negative trigger thru a 330 ohm resistor. MUST use relays.

Can also use Directed 457C or 456L interface modules.
Power Unlock same as power lock wire
Lock Motor lt. green 5wi driver kick, door harness
Unlock Motor tan/lt. green 5wi driver kick, door harness
Parking Lights+ white/yel (L), white/gray (R) + harness at top of driver fender
Parking Lights- white/lt. green - headlight switch
Notes: Parking lights are negative trigger thru a 249 or 330 ohm resistor. MUST use a relay.
Hazards white/orange - hazard switch
Notes: Hazards are negative trigger thru a 120 ohm resistor. MUST use a relay.
Turn Signal(L) use hazards wire
Turn Signal(R) use hazards wire
Reverse Light white/lt. green + inside mirror or plug by PCM
Notes: The PCM is on the passenger side firewall.
Door Trigger see notes - see notes
Notes: The driver door trigger is purple and the driver side rear door is purple/orange. These wires are in the driver kick panel. The passenger door trigger is purple/white and the passenger side rear door is purple/yellow. These wires are in the passenger kick panel. Use all four wires and diode isolate each. See DirectFax document 1076 for wiring information.
Dome Supervision yellow/lt. blue or yellow/org + driver A pillar or cluster
Trunk/Hatch Pin N/A
Hood Pin N/A
Trunk/Hatch Release N/A
Power Sliding Door N/A
Factory Alarm Arm purple/lt. blue - driver kick, door harness
Notes: This will also do door locks. Arm/lock is negative trigger thru a 2K ohm resistor. Disarm/unlock is negative trigger thru a 480 ohm resistor. Single pulse will do disarm without unlocking the doors. Unlock requires a double pulse. MUST use relays.

Can also use Directed 457C or 456L interface modules.
Factory Alarm Disarm same as factory alarm arm wire
Disarm No Unlock see factory alarm disarm
Tachometer dk. blue/gray ac PCM, orange plug, pin 34
Notes: The PCM is on the passenger side firewall.

On diesel models, the tach wire is at the ECM on the lower driver side of the engine, 60 pin plug, pin 24, or at the camshaft position sensor just left of the ECM, in a 3 pin plug.

Quick Reply: Guage install