24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

fuel in oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel in oil

i have fuel getting into my oil from some where and cant find out where. i have replaced my injectors o-rings but i didnt replace the connecting tube o-rings at that time. i have also been told there is a shaft seal on the vp that could be causing this. has anyone else had this problem if so could you tell me how you found it. ive got some uv dye to put in the fuel next time i go home im gona see if i can find it that way. any help would be much appreciated.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

How is the truck running? It could be an injector(s) sticking open. This too can cause fuel in the oil.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Diesel Fan

runs strong as ever, and no smoke, i mean unless I put my foot in it.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

o and no loss of prime when stting overnight.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

anyone else have an idea?

Last edited by cummin-get-it; 04-02-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

well you can still have a sticky injector if its sitting and one is open then it can put the fuel down the cylinder walls. if the cross over tube o rings were bad it would act like it lost prime. Are you sure it doesnt have a different knock to it? When mine went I barley heard the tone change but my truck smoked like a freight train and the exhaust was popping but ran like a top still

Old 04-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Diesel Fan

it smokes black and exhaust kinda crackels some but it has done that since i put the exhaust on, idk if it knocks much more than normal.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

IMO the cheapest thing to do is to pull the injectors and have them tested.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Diesel Bomber

You can also use a temp gun and check each exhaust port to see if one is running hotter than the other. If you do pull them you can try to shine some light in there and see if you can see any fuel sittig in that bowl in the top of the piston that will be a sign of a stuck injector.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RanchhandTCR
You can also use a temp gun and check each exhaust port to see if one is running hotter than the other. If you do pull them you can try to shine some light in there and see if you can see any fuel sittig in that bowl in the top of the piston that will be a sign of a stuck injector.
Wouldn't the reading be cooler since the excess fuel would cool the cylinder wall, thus lowering the exhaust temp...?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Diesel Bomber

Well the three stuck injectors I delt with since mine, was they ran hotter than cooler. Its trying to burn that fuel and since its not regulated by the poppet valve its just dumping as much as the Injection pump will allow. Its not pumping fuel in all four strokes but its not timed either its dumping fuel way before its suppose to. From the beginning of the injection pump cycle to the end. But none the less if one is running way cooler its and indication also.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:14 AM
Diesel Fan

ive got a stock set of injectors i can throw in and check it, also i just had the injectors out to change the orings and i think i saw a little fuel at the bottom of the bowl on a couple.

Quick Reply: fuel in oil