24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Time for a turbo rebuild....or new turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Time for a turbo rebuild....or new turbo?

So my truck has had a burnt oil smell from the exhaust since December. I didn't find out about the smell until i had gotten my truck back from having a head gasket replaced along with studs, o rings, exhaust porting etc etc and was unsure where i was using oil at. Well it didn't seem that bad, never a burnt oil smell at idle, only after i rev the engine up or "blip" the throttle off idle etc. I never saw any blue smoke, just smelled the burnt oil smell, so i figured it was a fairly mild oil consumption issue. Well, last week i checked my oil and found out it had dropped from the "part number" or some series of number above the fill mark on dip stick (2nd gen 24v dip stick) to just a bit below the full mark since Christmas time. So in the time frame of about a month and a half, i had used approx 1/2 to 1 qt of oil. That to me is a SEVERE oil consumption issue.

Well yesterday i was waiting in line to get my truck washed at a local touchless, and when i blipped the throttle i had a HUGE amount of blue smoke come bellowing out of my exhaust, and i watched it float by the side of my truck and i got a really nasty burnt oil smell in the cab again. I was planning to change my oil this weekend anyway, so i went home and proceeded to drop oil and filter, and let the truck drain for an hour or so. I went ahead and unbolted my turbo from the outlet of the exhaust manifold to see whether the oil consumption issue was head related or turbo related. Needless to say, when i got turbo loosened up and separated from the exhaust manifold i found NO sign of burnt oil, no gooey tar like oil residue which was a relief, as i did NOT want to take truck back and have it fixed for an oil consumption issue. Anyway, after that i attempted to pull downpipe off truck, but since my exhaust is clamped and welded i didn't gain very much if hardly any access to a visual of inside of DP. HOWEVER, i got DP moved enough to see on the very top lip of DP, i saw what appeared to be a gooey tar like residue, or a wet appearance, however, im unsure of that from burnt oil or from penetrating oil i used on DP bolts that ran down and collected on lip of DP.

Regardless of what i found im pretty sure the turbo is the culprit, as both banks of manifold were dry, and my turbo shaft has some play up and down and side to side, and i can see where it appears the turbo has possibly contacted the housing of turbo for a short time.

Now i need to find a reputable company that i can either buy a rebuild kit from, or save up money and buy an upgraded turbo down the road.

Anyway, heres a few pics i took of everything last night, none of inside of downpipe, as there simply wasnt enough room but i got good pic of manifold outlet etc.

Attached Thumbnails Time for a turbo rebuild....or new turbo?-img-20130216-00132.jpg   Time for a turbo rebuild....or new turbo?-img-20130216-00134.jpg   Time for a turbo rebuild....or new turbo?-img-20130216-00133.jpg  
Old 02-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

maybe a seal going bad in the turbo if its eating up oil. but your shaft play is normal.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

that shaft play is normal? it looks like it scuffed the housing

Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

HX35 rebuild kit is no more than $100, and takes only a few hours to do. Here is an excellent DIY with tons of pictures. I know you like lots of pictures

DIY: How to Rebuild Your HX35. - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum