24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Edge settings for fuel economy when towing light

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 07:25 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Edge settings for fuel economy when towing light

Just looking to hear everyone's opinion on the best setting for fuel economy with their edge. I usually run mine on 5 with a low boost setting of 5. I have 285/75/16 studded snows. Empty, mixed driving I get just over 17. Towing with a light two place snowmobile trailer (approx 1600 lbs) on full highway (4 hour drive) I get 13.5 with the cruise set at 65-70. All numbers, hand calculated. When towing, I'm considering trying the #2 setting, which is made for towing (go figure right...) I know one thing, the truck seems to run quieter on that setting too. Drivability seems better too, as opposed to the max setting where the boost and throttle are up and down very heavy when the cruise control is trying to modulate speed. I think I can do better when pulling, 13.5 seems a bit low to me, so I figured I ask you guys.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

I find being on anything higher than level 3 makes the truck surge too much while on cruise. It fuels too much for just a little drop in speed, then has to slow down again. IMO, this hurts fuel economy.

I'd try the #2 or #3 setting next time. I rarely take mine above #3 unless I'm playing around.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

OOOOOO i notice that too, that's what's doing that...i didn't know the cause. That makes perfect sense. Cool. Thanks a ton. I will try the lower setting next time for sure and report back.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Had the best millage on levels 1 and 2 anything higher my millage would suffer.

The following users liked this post:
chuffysplace (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

The way I look at it is the ECM/PCM still think the throttle cable still needs to be pulled a certain amount to compensate for the loss in speed. So it pulls that amount, which is probably double of what it needs to pull due to the extra power we add to our trucks. Then it over compensates by releasing too much cable, and it goes back and forth a couple times before leveling out. So every bump in the hiway turns into the engine revving up and down 2 or 3 times.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RAW
The way I look at it is the ECM/PCM still think the throttle cable still needs to be pulled a certain amount to compensate for the loss in speed. So it pulls that amount, which is probably double of what it needs to pull due to the extra power we add to our trucks. Then it over compensates by releasing too much cable, and it goes back and forth a couple times before leveling out. So every bump in the hiway turns into the engine revving up and down 2 or 3 times.
This makes perfect sense. Yes Sir. Thanks again!