Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

this mornin i checked my oil and noticed very tiny pieces of metal at least thats what i think it is in the oil. they look like tiny tiny air bubbles the day b4 i also noticed my turbo has shaft play seems to get ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 AM
Diesel Fan

View Member's Albums

Default metal in oil

this mornin i checked my oil and noticed very tiny pieces of metal at least thats what i think it is in the oil. they look like tiny tiny air bubbles the day b4 i also noticed my turbo has shaft play seems to get worse and worse if the berrings were goin out in my turbo could that b the cause of the shards in my oil?n im thinkn on sending an oil sample in. should i rebuild the hy 35 or go bigger if so any ideas on what size? thanks for ur help

sickboy29's Sig:01' 24 valve, quadzilla adrenaline, green cold air intake, dimond eye 4" strait pipe, 8' lift with a little cali sag in the rear, fiberglass baja fenders, 40" bfg t/a's, custom made baja front and rear bumpers and tire rack, 3 4" hid race lights
Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Administrator

View Member's Albums

You can typically get a HX35 for $300 or so used, and they are a better turbo. An oils scan doesn't hurt, especially for the price. What color were the flakes? Try a magnet on the dipstick oil to see if they are ferrous?

RAW's Sig:http://www.dieselbombers.com/signaturepics/sigpic13667_9.gif
2001 RAM2500, 5.9L Cummins. EJWA CTS/Smarty, 150HP BigDawg Injectors, HotRod VP44, 5" exhaust, FASS HD150 w/Vulcan DSV, HX35/40 over S471, Colt "Big Stick" Cam, S&B CNC Intake Elbow, O-Ringed head, 110# valve springs. Built 47RE. D80 w/discs. Espar Hydronic 5.
2014 RAM2500 Larimie, BONE STOCK
Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Diesel Bomber

Sounds like you already figured out the problem, or at least enough to do two things before anything else: Replace/rebuild the turbo and change the oil.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Diesel Fan

View Member's Albums

The pieces look like they could b Aluminum that's just a guess though cause its not magnetic what's aluminum in a turbo?
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Scott Hellinger Jr

View Member's Albums View Member's FaceBook Profile

my hx 35 with minimal side to side shaft play which is normal will be available for 300 obo. pulling it off in a couple weeks. swapping it out for an he351ve

shellinger's Sig:02 SLT Cummins H.O. 6spd quad cab, dana 80 w posi, HE351ve turbo, fass 150hd, quad adr stacked with smarty S03, SB 3850# sfi clutch, studded, BHAF, ddp 150s, 6 inch stacks, leveling kit, traction bars, fast coolers, di pricol gauges.
2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 2.8L Turbo Diesel, custom EGR delete, upgraded torque converter, aux lift pump, straight piped, diablo puck tuner.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Administrator

View Member's Albums

Where the oil goes, there is no Aluminum. A Brass/Bronze bushing instead. Aluminum in the oil system of a 24V Cummins........can't think of anything.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Diesel Bomber

Pistons
Old 01-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor

Are you sure its not air bubbles
Might try oil analysis

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Diesel Fan

View Member's Albums

ya its a huge guessing game wont know for sure till i do the oil analysis. -Shellinger- ya i maybe interested. let me know.. Wish i would of known that 2 months ago i had sold it to get a more powerful lift pump. Hey thanks to all u for ur ideas and help. this fourm and the people who particapate are awsome and know there stuff i love my truck, mess with it about everyday to learn it and run it right. wouldnt b able to do that with out you all!!!

submit to reddit