24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

need some help: possible fuel gelling at -5 F

Old 01-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default need some help: possible fuel gelling at -5 F

I think I had fuel gelling issue today. Truck sat all day and night, it was cold - 5F. First time for me dealing with cold and diesels. When I went to start it, it was later in the day, but still cold, 12F and I was unable to plug it in the night before. That Cummins is tough, it fired right up, no problem. I was impressed. I didn't even cycle the grid heater twice either. The lift pump was surging a bit, fuel pressure was going from 16 - 21. It idled for about 10 minutes, all seemed ok. I pulled up the road and I could tell something was wrong, immediately pulled over. fuel pressure was good but it wouldn't take any throttle over 1500 rpms, it was just break up and stutter and smoke. I had it parked in the sun and added quite a bit more of standodyne, let it idle at about 1100 rpms for another 20 minutes, it got better eventually. Was able to drive up the road, slowly and it progressively got better until all was good. By then it was warmer too, 20 F. However, the edge's fuel pressure sender, I think is now broke possibly due to all this - it was not reading anything after this whole event. A little history, I always use standodyne performance formula, I mix it 4 ounces to 15 gallons of fuel (as recommend), I had just filled up before I parked it (the truck was 1/2 full) and also added more additive - so I thought all was going to be fine.

Here's a little history of the truck and lift pump - the truck is new to me, the lift pump and filters have 2K miles on them, first time being in the real cold too. Also, I ran the 3/8" line from the pump directly to the VP44 using the elbow and a T for the pressure sensor right at the pump. I know I bypassed the stock fuel filter and heater, didn't use the banjo type bolt fitting. Maybe I shouldn't have or at least added FASS's optional heater? I didn't think a heater at the block like that would actually do much, after all, the line is the thinnest part of the fuel system, but ...?!?!

So is this issue the fuel gelling? I'm thinking it is. Could I have gotten bad fuel, maybe with water in it, or am I not using the best additive or enough of it, or should I get that heater working...!?!?

Also, if I ever have this issue again, is there a better way to fix it? I saw that 911 diesel stuff on the self of auto parts, maybe I should have on hand. Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like gelling fuel... 1st- Stop using standadyne. It's one of the additives that doesn't really do anything for you. Refer to the sticky list up top and research a little. For anti-gel use PowerService Diesel 911 (Use ONLY for gelling. It is NOT a regular additive.) If you need to preemptively treat your fuel for low temps use powerservice regular. For a good and cheap additive that actually DOES do you some good use snowmobile 2 stoke oil in the winter and marine two stroke oil in the summer.

Now for your gelling... take a water pitcher and fill it with nearly boiling water... put FASS filters in the pitcher while idling and it will heat up your fuel enough to clear up the gelling in the filters... that is most likely where the gelling is clogging your system. Let the truck run with some 911 in the tank for a good while and it should clear all of this up.

The following users liked this post:
chuffysplace (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

we use 911 up here when we have a gelling problem. and plug the truck in if you can. happened to my buddy last week when it was really cold. but only add 911 when you are gelled up not all the time. we put power service with diesel slick in our big 500 gallon fuel tanks at work and havent had any problems yet this year with the work trucks. only a few diesel have to park outside though.

chuffysplace (01-27-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Diesel Fan

I had this issue last winter at -30*F with 1/8 tank. I put diesel 911 in the tank and 10 gallons of diesel. Took a space heater an put towards the rear of the truck far enough from the tank to where I felt safe and let it warm up. I also replaced my fuel filter.

But once I got it running.... I made it 2 miles, and the intake lift pump went out..
Got a Raptor now.

Hope that helped.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 01-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amsoil makes a great product also

AMSOIL Diesel Recovery Emergency Fuel Treatment

Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had same issue over the winter, with the FASS pump always carry extra fuses mine actually burned up 2 fuses, I guess the jelled fuel over amped it. All I did was remove both filters, dump the fuel out and you'll see the jelled little white things. Fill both to the top with 911 (red can) and buzz your pump for a second, turn it off and let it sit, let the chemical do its thing. Did this twice within 4 days at about 5 below like your seeing. Its frustrating but it happens to all of us. Good luck,

Dom

chuffysplace (01-29-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I'm considering trying Howes anti gel additive. I'm reading good things on it. It's made up north....I figure those guys up there know their stuff on this subject matter!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

More info here – when this happened, I had originally thought it took out my Edge’s fuel pressure sensor, since all of the sudden it read 0 (but the truck was still running). So I assumed a faulty fuel pressure sensor – after all, how could the truck possibly run without it?!?! Nope, this was not true. I later realized, that the FASS fuse blew right there and then but…the truck ran fine, actually all the way home. Not good for the VP44 by any means. But…we live and learn. When I replaced the sensor and my fuel pressure was still 0… I eventually figured out the FASS’s fuse was blown.

Fast forward to this recent weekend, -10 below zero F, and similar things happened…truck started fine (Cummins is one tough mother), and idled for 20 minutes. Pump was running, fuel pressure was up and down (16 – 22). I then drove around the parking lot and fuel pump and pressure stopped and dropped to 0..probably due to the increased load. I stopped , checked the fuse, it was ok, the truck was still running once again but I didn’t know how to restart the lift pump, so I shut the truck off, and restarted it, the pump started running again and fuel pressure was back up. This time I was worried about gelling and figured it was time to add some (not a lot) of 911 and idled for 5 more minutes, all was good after that.

I think it’s time to add FASS’s optional fuel heater(s). The filter and water separator only have 4K on them and just before this weekend and drained the filter and the water separator too.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Diesel Fan

WVO Designs 12V Heater Wrap - Large

something like that will be much better and cheaper than FASS's system

chuffysplace (02-19-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need some help: possible fuel gelling at -5 F