280k miles....what should I expect to replace soon? - Diesel Bombers
Diesel Bombers
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Hello all, I bought this truck (99 cummins 5 speed Dana 60F- 80R )several years ago and I have done the gen. upkeep with a new clutch about 100k and new VP 20k ago...mostly stock with a few toys. So...I am basically wondering what I ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

280k miles....what should I expect to replace soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 PM

Default 280k miles....what should I expect to replace soon?

Hello all,

I bought this truck (99 cummins 5 speed Dana 60F- 80R )several years ago and I have done the gen. upkeep with a new clutch about 100k and new VP 20k ago...mostly stock with a few toys. So...I am basically wondering what I should expect to repair/ look out for in the next 40k, and what I should look at upgrading - mostly for mpg ..mostly .

I do A LOT of highway miles (25k- 35k) so breaking down isn't a favorable option.

I am selling off basically everything I own and downsizing to this truck so ...god willing I will have cash to work on it.

Mods:
Air dog 2
19.5 wheels
Cold air intake
4" exhaust (came with it)

My work list as is:

New turbo/budget compound+ exhaust
Ford hub conversion ( unit bearings )
New ram intake

Dream list:
Aux transmission for the empty runs
Air-liquid-air intercooler
Aux fuel tank
Programmer
Water-meth
Old 01-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Diesel Fan
havin fun

bob rimpa

View Member's Twitter Account

if the clutch hasn't been replaced, I would definitely replace it . that is what makes everything happen,(if you know what I mean)

rrimpa's Sig:2000 dodge 2500,mbrp 4" exhaust,airdog 150gph with the big line kit,edge comp,boost, fuel pressure, and egt gauges .heavy duty auto tranny
if you don't make mistakes , your not doing anything
Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Diesel Fan

521,000 on my 2001 4x4 dually.It's had one vp pump,a couple lift pumps and 2 clutches.It has been super reliable and is now used only for for pulling my toyhauler so I installed a EJWA,4inch exhaust and cold air intake.Friends think I'm crazy for adding performance mods with this many miles but it runs and drives as good as it did with a 100,000 miles.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Diesel Fan

Installing a programmer will really help out your millage for starters you have all the supporting mods for it already. and later down the road if you want to upgrade a turbo/compounds you will be able to spool them.

cummins9522's Sig:98.5, 5spd 4x4, EDGE Drag Comp Ispro mechanical gauges egt/60pis/100psi, Glacier Diesel Mechanical liftpump, DAP 7x10 w/lift, ARP Head Studs, Hamilton Pushrods/ 110 Spring's, HTT 3 piece manifold, AERO 4040XL,Stainless diesel S357/S475, Valair Comp Dual Disc 3600#/Valair Hydraulics, Retrofit Projector headlights, 251K
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 AM
Diesel Bomber
<- Finally found a big enough air filter for mah' Dodge!

I would definitely do that Ford hub conversion for MPG, especially with all those highway miles.

JBearSVT's Sig:
410,ooo mi.
BHAF~60/68/14 turbo~CXRacing intake~ported/o-ring head~3 angle valves~60#springs~ARP's~benched pump~22°~4K/GSK~no plate~5x13 VCOs~3pc manifold~4" MBRP
Cheetah shifted 47RE: triple disc TC~smart lockup switch~hand rubbed VB~steel planetaries~billet everything~deep pan~blah blah blah...