Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

Hello all, I bought this truck (99 cummins 5 speed Dana 60F- 80R )several years ago and I have done the gen. upkeep with a new clutch about 100k and new VP 20k ago...mostly stock with a few toys. So...I am basically wondering what I ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 PM

Default 280k miles....what should I expect to replace soon?

Hello all,

I bought this truck (99 cummins 5 speed Dana 60F- 80R )several years ago and I have done the gen. upkeep with a new clutch about 100k and new VP 20k ago...mostly stock with a few toys. So...I am basically wondering what I should expect to repair/ look out for in the next 40k, and what I should look at upgrading - mostly for mpg ..mostly .

I do A LOT of highway miles (25k- 35k) so breaking down isn't a favorable option.

I am selling off basically everything I own and downsizing to this truck so ...god willing I will have cash to work on it.

Mods:
Air dog 2
19.5 wheels
Cold air intake
4" exhaust (came with it)

My work list as is:

New turbo/budget compound+ exhaust
Ford hub conversion ( unit bearings )
New ram intake

Dream list:
Aux transmission for the empty runs
Air-liquid-air intercooler
Aux fuel tank
Programmer
Water-meth
Old 01-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Diesel Fan

bob rimpa

View Member's Twitter Account

if the clutch hasn't been replaced, I would definitely replace it . that is what makes everything happen,(if you know what I mean)

rrimpa's Sig:2000 dodge 2500,mbrp 4" exhaust,airdog 150gph with the big line kit,edge comp,boost, fuel pressure, and egt gauges .heavy duty auto tranny
if you don't make mistakes , your not doing anything
Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Diesel Fan

521,000 on my 2001 4x4 dually.It's had one vp pump,a couple lift pumps and 2 clutches.It has been super reliable and is now used only for for pulling my toyhauler so I installed a EJWA,4inch exhaust and cold air intake.Friends think I'm crazy for adding performance mods with this many miles but it runs and drives as good as it did with a 100,000 miles.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:25 AM
Diesel Fan

Installing a programmer will really help out your millage for starters you have all the supporting mods for it already. and later down the road if you want to upgrade a turbo/compounds you will be able to spool them.

cummins9522's Sig:98.5, 5spd 4x4, EDGE Drag Comp Ispro mechanical gauges egt/60pis/100psi, Glacier Diesel Mechanical liftpump, DAP 7x10 w/lift, ARP Head Studs, Hamilton Pushrods/ 110 Spring's, HTT 3 piece manifold, AERO 4040XL,Stainless diesel S357/S475, Valair Comp Dual Disc 3600#/Valair Hydraulics, Retrofit Projector headlights, 251K
Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 AM
Diesel Wrench
Status: <- Finally found a big enough air filter for mah' Dodge!

I would definitely do that Ford hub conversion for MPG, especially with all those highway miles.

JBearSVT's Sig:
365ooo mi.
BHAF ~ 60/68/14 DP/WG turbo ~ ported/o-ring head ~ 3 angle valves ~ 60# springs ~ ARP's ~ benched pump ~ 4K/GSK ~ 18° ~ no plate ~ 5x13 VCOs ~ 3pc manifold ~ 4" MBRP
47RE: triple disc TC ~ smart lockup switch ~ hand rubbed VB ~ steel planetaries ~ billet everything ~ deep pan ~ blah blah blah...

submit to reddit