24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Body Control Module ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Body Control Module ?

I recently ran into a problem with my 1998 5.9 24 v Ram. It appeared not to be getting fuel.
When I purchased it I noticed a remanufactured Injector pump I also saw that the lift pump was never changed when the injector pump was put on. After changing the lift pump The truck was able to run again. It had no check engine light on and it would not communicate with my scanner. The truck died 3 days ago in my driveway the same way it died the first time I had a fuel issue with it. Knowing what was done on the fuel system I concentrated on the Auto shut off relay circuit. I ran through the test TC-10A step by step I found an ohm resistance below 5 on the relay control circuit PCM grey connector C-3 to Pin 85 or 86 .The book say 85 the DB/YL wire actually went to pin 86 on my relay socket. Because my resistance read .7 ohms the next step indicated was to replace the PCM. I had a PCM overnighted to me plugged it in and started the truck. I now have the check engine light on but my scanner is still unable to connect so I am working blind trying to find out why the check engine light is on. I did try cycling the key to use the check engine light hoping it would flash a code but that did not happen. Other little things I notice going on. This truck is apparently suppose to have a warning chime.It does not. I get a low fuel warning light come on and fuel gauge goes to empty, if I press on the brake the warning light goes off and fuel gauge returns to actual level. I can not set the clock and My scanner is unable to connect .Check engine light is now on but I am unable to diagnose. I am also aware that the body control module also can send data to the Vehicle Theft system to control engine no run. Anyone have any thoughts on this ? Can I get this part aftermarket? any history with failure of this part? This BCM or CTM ( CentralTimerModule ) seems to be the only common denominator to what is happening in this Ram. I feel like I am getting close I want to resolve this problem so The truck is dependable and does not destroy any additional electrical components along the way.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Was the new pcm flashed with your vin number?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

I may be wrong here ,so someone correct me if I am, but I don't think the tc-10a test applies to diesel trucks. I'm pretty sure the pcm has nothing to do with any engine/fuel systems on diesel trucks. Only the ecm controls engine/fuel.

Last edited by Bryce; 01-20-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Diesel Fan

Yes pcm was flashed with vin. Schematic and test run was for diesel. While I suspected see circuit because of low ohm reading the engine shut off in the vehicle theft sensor may have posed another problem, that is in the CTM or BCM as known by others . I ordered the module today, hopefully it will correct the problems.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

I hope the new ctm will get you up and going. I have been reading up on the asd all day and I found in the chrysler training publication 8169997178 that the sole purpose of the asd in diesel trucks is controling the charging system. Whats got me puzzled is that you can't read codes. Does the digital odometer work right now or does it flash and show an error? Do you still have the original pcm?

Last edited by Bryce; 01-20-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Diesel Fan

Test I ran was tc-10A repairing auto shutdown relay control circuit.Engine was not getting fuel
The digital odometer works but it will not flash by turning ignition on and off 3 times. All the symptoms are consistent with the ctm or bcm. The lack of power (vehicle speed sensing)
Fuel gauge responding to brake pedal CAB (central antilock brake control) ,The vehicle theft security system controls the no run feature, the clock can not be set and the chime does not operate .All of these symptoms have one thing in common The CTM . Hopefully the problem is in the CTM and not the wiring to the CTM . In any case No fuel conditions poor acceleration are conditions I have read much about on this site, so if this works it will be another place for people to look to resolve their problem.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

You've checked resistance but have you checked for vref, 12v and ground at the ecm and pcm. Ive never seen a ctm/bcm cause performance issues. I think you may need to rethink this one. Is the asd shutting off? Not to be rude but I see no reason in the post above that the pcm should have been replaced. I would have started with a communication flow chart and verified the dlc and bus circuits first.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Diesel Enthusiast

I agree with mysterync. Also on the tc-10a test, I can't find anywhere that says it applies to cummins trucks, just gas vehicles and diesel jeeps. Is it running now and youre just fixing the no com and guage problem?

Last edited by Bryce; 01-21-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Diesel Fan

The PCM change fixed the fuel problem and got it running again. The low fuel indicator light still comes on and goes off when I step on the brake and the chime in the ctm still does not work when the car door is unlocked with the key fob or locked with the key fob
or for any warnings,

Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM
Diesel Bombers Sponsor
Received 367 Likes on 251 Posts

So the pcm wasn't grounding the asd relay?
It seems extremely rare that multiple modules would fail simultaneously without some type of help.
Have you verified power and ground at bcm/ecm/pcm? Has the truck recently been jump started or anything done prior to the loss of communication? Its possible that the break down of another module shut down communication but its highly unlikely that would cause a failure of another module. I almost wonder if the asd wasn't grounding the asd due to a communication issue. Im not sure what pids are supplied via communications that effect asd, so that may be a shot in the dark but that sure seems weird.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Diesel Fan

Okay after disconnecting the batteries and the CTM,then plugging the ctm back in and connecting the batteries I started the vehicle.The empty fuel tank symbol lit and gauge showed empty.While stepping on the brake I was able to finally get trouble codes out.
Codes are 122, 234 ,237,463,1689 1693 and 1698. the turbocodes 234 and 237 are probably related The 463 code is the apparent fuel indicator problem( I am guessing a wire short)
1693 companion trouble code ECM& PCM and 1689 no communication ECM to pump ?
I am thinking ECM may be out to lunch.The PCM has just been changed and has enabled the engine to at least start. All suggestions welcome.TheVP44 was rebuilt I do not know how long ago but the lift pump which should have been changed with the injector pump never was so a repair may have been made but the cause of the problem not fixed.If I have to replace the VP44is there a more reliable injection pump that bolts in? I actually feel like I am making progress! Just ordered a set of dodge manuals which may be easier to use than All data.