24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Fuel Tank Heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Heater

Hey guys,

Well the past MONTH, ive been having troubles with diesel gelling up, Ive tried everything but putting in kerosene. But Im tired of having to hitch a ride in the moring and comming back once the sun has warmed up my diesel. Its been -20* and lower fernheit here. So i came up with an Idea to put a tank heater on my truck. I have an oil pan heater (120V) I fiqured I could go buy one of those and slap it on my diesel tank. My concern is will it melt my tank? they come in 50W to 500 Watts I believe. But I fiqure If I get one of them puppies on there Ill never have an issue again. Unless it catches my tank of fire and I might as well grab a bag of marshmellows and tissues. (Also my tuck is outside all the time it does not fit in my garage its 1.5 foot to long and Im not tanking my bambi basher off.)

Just to save some confusion, My diesel gelled at the tank today, I had fuel pressure when I started it and then it went to nothing.

Last edited by RanchhandTCR; 01-02-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Very odd this is happening to you. Sounds like bad fuel to me. I have never had gelling issues, even down to -40. Are you running a winter conditioner?

I highly doubt a 500Watt heater would damage the tank. Not at those temperatures at least.

What type of transfer pump do you have?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe putting the heater on a light timer so it is only heating for an hour or two before starting might prevent a tank melting issue. Have you tried putting plumbing heat tape on your fuel line? Maybe its just the line gelling up.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Diesel Bomber

I have a stock transfer pump, and I used Howes Diesel Treat 30 oz of it to be exact and where suppose to be running diesel #1 right now. I did not have a single issue last year except one time when I came up from AZ and did not refill my tank and still had summer fuel. I just filled up before this happened and I asked if the winterized the fuel they said yes. But i trust their words as far as I can take a **** and that aint very far .

I did not have an issue starting and idleing the tuck and had 14 psi when I left and came back to leave and had no fuel pressure 0 PSI. and when I got past 1800 RPM it started cutting out. so instead of frying my IP i hitched a ride. I can do plumbing tape on the lines? but I had it running long enough that it should have pulled all the fuel outta the lines? so I fiqured I can throw one of those pads on and it should keep good heat on the fuel. Dont these truck have a fuel heater on the line somewhere or is that just fords? Thanks for your imput.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 PM
RAW
Administrator

These truck do have a fuel heater, it is in the fuel bowl.

A good tip for good fuel is use a fuel station that is in constant use. They will have the most accurate blend in their holding tanks.

I run Stanadyne, and a little more than recommended by the bottle. Never had an issue so far.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Diesel Bomber

I use our local cooperative and they have alot of rigs comming thru, its right off the highway and I think they bring in a fuel truck every other day. But I gotta do something I can keep having my truck not start or run. IM honestly pissed Id pluged it in last your for luxury it got to -30 one day and didnt plug it in and she fired right up. Ive also been fighting it with our tractors its irritating... But do you think im going over kill with a hot pad on my fuel tank? i just wanna make sure I dont get stranded anymore.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM
RAW
Administrator

I do think it is overboard. I've never had to do anything like that. I'd be making sure your fuel heater works before going much further. Make sure there is power to the heater first.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Site Sponsor - Mighty Diesel
Received 213 Likes on 200 Posts

that is some cold temps for sure but plugging the truck in and a good anti gel fuel should be good.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I just assumed the truck died on you. So no I dont think heat tape will do any thing for you.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Diesel Bomber

No the truck did not die it ran and idled and when I left to go back inside it said 14 psi, and when I came back out to leave it said 0 psi and I decided to drive it like that and it would start cutting out at 1800 rpm so I parked here and plugged her in. But I fiqured I could throw a hot pad on and when it gets really cold I could plug it in so I dont wake up to a gelled truck. Im assuming my fuel heater works since I had 14 psi at start up. Next time I fill up im gonna fill up at another station and try standyne. but I appreciate your input. But I may still pony up for a 100 watt hot pad. its only 37 bucks USD.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Ok now this is stupid, it -14 and I still cant use my damn truck. Im sure its at the line between the Lift pump and the tank.. But if its gelling this fast, the fuel station didnt blend their diesel...

Last edited by RanchhandTCR; 01-03-2013 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Heater