24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default death wobble

so i have got death wobble 3 times now since i have owned the truck, all three while doing 70 or maybe a little over. my track bar was replaced 5000 miles ago along with all ball joints and wheel bearings. i just bought the dual shock steering stabilizer because my stabilizer looks original. i had the wife jump in the truck with it off and move the steering wheel, no play in anything except were the steering linkage bolts to the pitman arm there is a little play. could this cause it?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

It's possible.
Whether it is or not though, it's absolutely the reason why you have play in your steering. I know, you didn't say you had any; but if there's play at the pitman arm joint, then you do. I've heard some people say you can't get that joint, and have to replace the whole pitman arm. It isn't true, I got the joint from Chrysler this past summer. Taking that play out will make it 100X easier to drive in a straight line, something I always took for granted until I found myself racking up miles in an old Dodge.

As for the death wobble, it's more likely caused by the poorly designed steering box mount. Many companies offer a reinforced setup that pretty much clears up the problem.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JBearSVT
It's possible.
Whether it is or not though, it's absolutely the reason why you have play in your steering. I know, you didn't say you had any; but if there's play at the pitman arm joint, then you do. I've heard some people say you can't get that joint, and have to replace the whole pitman arm. It isn't true, I got the joint from Chrysler this past summer. Taking that play out will make it 100X easier to drive in a straight line, something I always took for granted until I found myself racking up miles in an old Dodge.

As for the death wobble, it's more likely caused by the poorly designed steering box mount. Many companies offer a reinforced setup that pretty much clears up the problem.
no i thought that joint looked like it was part of the steering linkage. and if you go to moparpartsamerica.com they call it an inner tie rod end. is there any way you can take a picture of yours. and im getting a steering box brace next i guess.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Diesel Bomber

Not tonight, but I might be able to tomorrow.
IIRC though, the part I bought from Chrysler was stated to be a tie rod end.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

ok sounds like we are talking about the same thing then. how much was the part that you bought?

Old 01-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Diesel Bomber

Don't remember, but it wasn't bad. That said, I do the purchasing for my company, and we buy a lot of parts from Chrysler and get a significant discount. But I seem to remember the retail on the pitman arm being around $100, and it was much less than that.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Shellinger!

I know that you said that you just replaced Track bar tie rods etc. but what brand parts did you use? I can just about guarantee that if you have a buddy start your rig and rock your steering wheel back and forth about 5 inches, you will find tie rods and definitely the track bar doing the up and down bob. the is the #1 cause for Deathwobble besides an inefficent stabalizer shock. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dartman
Hey Shellinger!

I know that you said that you just replaced Track bar tie rods etc. but what brand parts did you use? I can just about guarantee that if you have a buddy start your rig and rock your steering wheel back and forth about 5 inches, you will find tie rods and definitely the track bar doing the up and down bob. the is the #1 cause for Deathwobble besides an inefficent stabalizer shock. Good luck!
im hoping its my stabilizer shock. looks original, ordered a fabtech dual shock steering stabilizer and a steering box stabilizer bar. my inner tie rod end that connects to pitman arm does have a little play so i am going to order that too this week. i called the previous owner and he used moog.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shellinger!

I know that you said you had the wife jump into the truck and without the engine running move the wheel back and forth and saw no play, but you have to remember the pressures put on these components when driving these heavy vehicles. the engine has to be running to perform this operation.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:03 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

gotcha, ill have my boss do it at work tomorrow. i hope they arent all messed up again! stupid death wobble! i was messing around with a powerstroke the one time i did it. felt like a loser

Quick Reply: death wobble