Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

i have a 2001 24 valve is the factory lift pump in the tank or on the frame rail behind the fuel filter because it looks like there was one next to the fuel filter.... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Diesel Fan

Default lift pump

i have a 2001 24 valve is the factory lift pump in the tank or on the frame rail behind the fuel filter because it looks like there was one next to the fuel filter.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Administrator

View Member's Albums

If it is factory, it will be in the tank, or mounted to the block behind the fuel filter.

To find out, turn the key on and bump the starter. Jump out and listen for the hum of the fuel pump.

RAW's Sig:2014 RAM2500 Larimie, BONE STOCK

SOLD: 2001 RAM2500, 5.9L Cummins. EJWA CTS/Smarty, 150HP BigDawg Injectors, HotRod VP44, 5" exhaust, FASS HD150 w/Vulcan DSV, HX35/40 over S471, Colt "Big Stick" Cam, S&B CNC Intake Elbow, O-Ringed head, 110# valve springs. Built 47RE. D80 w/discs. Espar Hydronic 5.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Diesel Fan

ok i also cant get the truck running i think its the lift pump, what kind of fuel pressure should i see if the lift pump is running with the truck off, or does the truck have to be running.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

When you bump the starter pump should run for 25 sec. If pressure is below 10psi replace the fuel filter and try again. Stock pumps will put out max of 12psi but are not good enough to keep psi up at wot. If psi is below 10 at wot its time for a new lift pump or filter. Have you bled the injectors?

Bryce's Sig:2001 Cummins 4wd auto, Edge Juice w/Attitude, Raptor 100 lift pump, S&B air intake, Banks 4" turbo back exhaust, BD sway bar links, Mopar 09 steering linkage, Borgeson steering box, pump & shaft
Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

It should build pressure even with the truck off bump the starter like they said,maybe loosen the line at the back of filer see if it squirts out. Get a gauge it is wery helpful to keep an eye on this

chadcycle 2500's Sig:2001 Ram 2500 4WD,4.10'sFass lift pump,ATS Copilot,Glowshift gauges.K&NColdair,Bigger boost elbow, Gearvendor overdrive,(now in!) custom lock up & overdrive control switches, 4in exhaust,all new guides&exhaust valves,plained , ARP head studs,.020 mahle pistons, clevite bearings,block deck surface planed, KDP, red head steering box, someday programer or RV275 injectors
Old 12-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Diesel Fan

yes i bled the injector and it ran for like 20 seconds but it wouldnt idle i had to stay on the throttle.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

View Member's Albums

With out seeing it it's tough, I;d put a gauge on first thing,see what it does in this 25 second "run",check fuelfilter itself,check the input voltage to liftpump again durring the "run"to make sure it is staying powered up,yes this is a bit to do but you will know what you have going on here,could be something elsebut ...
Old 12-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Diesel Fan

ill get a gauge on it tomorrow, what kind of input voltage should i see at the lift pump just 12 volts.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Administrator

View Member's Albums

Yep, 12 volts. Check the ground circuit as well!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Diesel Fan

is there any kits forsale that come with all the hardware and the gauge for fuel pressure at a reasonable price

submit to reddit