24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

new to dodge and now big issue.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to dodge and now big issue.

well i got the great code of death. the P1689. as so do many many other people i have seen but for what is going on with my truck only one guy has had one of the issues im having. think it was ( stodg ) no increase in throttle over 1400 regardless of throttle position. so after many nights of searching for cures on this code ive come up with,

VP44 = toast (EDC board)
Wiring
Lift pump
grounds = driver side and other places
Engine ECM

but here is the history on the truck, and i will try to do the best i can with the issues on the truck and what i have done to fix it.

truck is a 99 5.9 with the banks ottomind kit

I bought the truck from an old boss of mine who takes good car of his stuff. i knew the truck had an issue which at first i thought a trans but no. he said that the mechanic he took it to said bring it back to stock and see what happens. i took the truck for a test drive drove fine and all. then went to hammer on it after a brake stand and it derated. code came up and I let off the throttle, then tapped it, then back on and it drove fine. went back said okay and drove the truck back to my shop.

hooked it to a Genysis scanner and read all the codes that were on there. the ones i remember were crank and cam sensor not agreeing, no response from atmospheric pressure sensor, and some others and the 1689. I erased them then thought to myself "that was a bad idea". after work drove the truck back to my old bosses shop to help a friend. went to leave and thats when it started throwing its fit.

the truck idles and starts no problem its just after that point. it would take off then cut out, come back then cut out. nooooo balllsss. thought to myself "hmm this is weird, well ill get to it when i get to my old mans place and look at it there" found nothing that stood out besides some half *** wiring. but when i went to leave, i started the truck and it rockets to 1400rpm then came back down. drove the truck back to my work. still cutting out and couldnt get out of its own way.

now that i have had some time to work on it wiring fixed except for one. tried to poke around with the wiring and removed the ottomind tuner. wasnt sure what i was looking for besides continuity and normal visual what not. so the truck is serviced and all up to good on that. but the truck is still throwing the 1689 BIG F U code. , now after messing with it, the throttle is touchy like touch it it jumps fast and all, it still cuts out and is slow to rise on r's. so at this point im telling the truck to kiss my ive swapped the relays, made the pins smaller on the VP pump connector to make them contact better, basically just shy of taking a hammer to it. but i went to drive the truck after all this hooplah, and in neutral i could get it to hit rev limiter no issues, then to a brake stand it and it just falls flat on its face no higher than 1400rpm and in normal driving too. soo said eff it and I went to put the truck away today cause i was tired and fed up at this point and the truck brings up a new issue. the peddle became a decellorator. put it to the floor it goes to idle, let off rockets to 1400. sooo i dont know where to sink my money first to only regret it cause it wont fix it. i got such high hopes dont i.

ive seen 90% of threads say "i replaced the pump and its fixed" and some saying "pump didnt do it, nor did the other 40 things".

so after reading my novel could anyone have a "its this" answer. or do i have a headache ahead of me?

Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am having the same almost the same exact problems. i am pulling the injection pump to warranty it out and hopefully that fixes it.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:14 PM

when you replaced the pump did it fix it the first time? or did you have these issues then replace the pump with no change?

Old 12-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Switch your fuel pump relay and see if that fixes anything. Usually there is only 2 causes for the 1689 code(bad relay or pump) Its pretty much the vp death code. What is your fuel psi at?

Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought the truck like it is a little over week ago

Old 12-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ramitt
Switch your fuel pump relay and see if that fixes anything. Usually there is only 2 causes for the 1689 code(bad relay or pump) Its pretty much the vp death code. What is your fuel psi at?
yeah i switched them, no luck in change. dont have a gauge so dont know lift pressure. but then i took one of the brass plugs out to prime the system it shot a stream about 8-10'' up.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

after you switched them did you clear the codes?

my vp44 died with only the p1689 code, but there should be another code in your ECm or PCM.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Vp44 trucks NEED a fuel pressure gauge. Cant tell you for sure what to check until we know the psi. If it has a stock lift pump the vp is most likely gonna be toast. Anything under 10 psi wot is bad and slowly killing the vp

Old 12-08-2012, 07:32 PM

i got that, there isnt a schrader valve on top of the filter base or any of that so not sure where to connect a gauge?. but i doubt a lift pump is going to make my peddle be in reverse mode.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Trace the fuel line from the bottom of the fuel filter to the vp there is an 1/8" npt port on the banjo fitting with a plug in it. That is where you hook a gauge to. Your vp44 is probably bad. When you replace it it would be wise to put a fass, airdog, or raptor lift pump on as well. Here is some more reading and test procedures for you VP44 Diagnostic

Search this Thread