24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Voltage drop , surging and tons of codes !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage drop , surging and tons of codes !!

Hi guys im new to here. I just bought my cummins last week. I love her. This is my issue. The first night i brought it home the volt meter droped to 8 volts. But i checked the alt and it was charging at 13.5 at 1500 rmp. So i shut off the truck and restarted and the gauge was fine. Wierd. The 2 days later i drove it to my nighbours about 2 miles. And it started bucking coughing an sneezing. I was holding the throttle steady and it would rev up and down ( surging ) So i read the codes this is wat i got . 1682,p0500,p1492,p1693. Pecu 1693,1698,0215,0230,0562,0380,0382. And on the way home it ran fine but the codes remain

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Also i should ad that the fuel fillter drain valve is leaking bad but thats on order should be here tomorrow

Last edited by Dunright mobile; 12-02-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Diesel Fan

Imthought it could be bad batterys so i put 2 new ones in an the p pcu 0500 and 1492 went away. All the others remain

Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you clear computer? Ican see it throwing a bunch of codes with the voltage/amperage so low. Also I'm not sure if you had 13.5v@ the alternator while still having the low batt voltage,it should be 14.5 @the alt& batt with the grid heater off.I've seen the output post of the alt get all arced where it connects inside thus reducing output. Check ALL connections from batt,grounds,power distribution box alt to Both batterys,load test batterys.

OOps! forgot to mention after fixing canister leak,check/replace fuel filter,check lift pump pressure

Last edited by chadcycle 2500; 12-05-2012 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Diesel Fan

Ok last night i fixed the fuel leak and was going to change the fuel filter but i had the wrong one so i put the old one back in . I primed the bowl and it fierd right up. I drove it about 20 miles to a friends house. After my visit i drove it to town to get diesel and it felt like it wanted to stall periodicly. I filled it up with diesel and no start. But while i was poking around i found a break in a battery ground cable that some one tapped together. So thats probly the ground issue. Is the truck not starting related ?

And how can i check feul pressure ?

Last edited by Dunright mobile; 12-05-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by Dunright mobile
Ok last night i fixed the fuel leak and was going to change the fuel filter but i had the wrong one so i put the old one back in . I primed the bowl and it fierd right up. I drove it about 20 miles to a friends house. After my visit i drove it to town to get diesel and it felt like it wanted to stall periodicly. I filled it up with diesel and no start. But while i was poking around i found a break in a battery ground cable that some one tapped together. So thats probly the ground issue. Is the truck not starting related ?

And how can i check feul pressure ?
Get a fuel pressure gauge and put it as close to the IP inlet as possible. A FP gauge should really be a high priority as well as a new aftermarket LP.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Diesel Fan

Problem solved !!! Bad ground for codes and the feul .... It must have sucked up air. It was low on feul Its running now an sat for hrs and still started. Wel see tomorrow if it starts