24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

First diesel, any tips/tricks/do's and donts?

Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First diesel, any tips/tricks/do's and donts?

Well as the title says, i just bought my first diesel. Im just want to know some do's and donts and tips on to keep her running good and strong. Its a 01, all stock cept for a K&N air filter. Im not planning on making her into a torque monster and rolling coal everywhere i go, but later on i would like to get a chip. Any info is much appreciated!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:37 AM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

First and foremost would be to get an aftermarket lift pump. These trucks are very sensitive to fuel pressure. The injection pump needs a minimum of 10psi fuel pressure to stay happy. Without that, it is prone to overheating the electronics, loose lubrication in the moving pieces, and will leave you on the side of the road. A $500 investment right away can save you $1000+ down the road.

Gauges would be my next suggestion. Keeping an eye on what the engine is doing helps promote longevity. Exhaust Temperature, Boost, and Fuel Pressure are key items to watch. Transmission temperature is also a good one to watch if it is an Automatic transmission.

Exhaust will help the engine breath. Air in and out helps performance, mileage, and driveability. Turbo-back kits are decently priced these days, you could probably get a basic set up for under $400.

Search this Thread