24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

O boy think i broke something not sure what!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default O boy think i broke something not sure what!!

Well i was messing with a ford powerjoke today and turned my quad adr up to 10 and put it to the floor in 6th then let off at about 70mph. well a little bit further down at about 55-60 mph now my truck started vibrating shaking so bad i almost whent off the road. i put my 6 speed in neutral thinking i blew the clutch apart that didnt help. so i slowed down to about 20 with it still in neutral and it went away. i pulled over checked u joints and ball joints, loose wheels, everything i could think of. everything checked out. so i tried it again and it was like nothing ever happened. no new noises no new vibrations, it shifted perfectly fine. so i got the chevy dealership were i had to pick up the company bucket truck. one of the mechanics came out because he knows me and loves my truck. i borrowed a 1/2 inch ratchet and checked the rear diff, it was a little low and the fluid looked ok. lots of black stuff on the magnet with some very small hairy like metal shavings on the magnet, its a dana 80 factory locking. so i left the truck at my work til tomorrow and took a company truck home because im so nervous i really f'd something up. any ideas would be great about were to look and what to look for. my buddy said i may have broke a tooth off one of my gears in my tranny but wouldnt the shaking have stopped when i put it in neutral? or he said i could have spun a brake pad out or broke a tooth off in my rear differential. i am freaking out right now. any clues would be appreciated.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like a case of death wobble. Did you hit a bump before it started?

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

Jack the front end up and put jack stands on the frame and see if you can move your axle side to side any. Death wobble is caused by a wore out track bar, worn tie rods, worn ball joints, or a combination of the three.

Last edited by Bryce; 11-12-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

upper and lower ball joints are all new, track bar is new, well all new in last 5000 miles only thing im not sure about is when the tie rod ends were last done. had it all done at once. unless they are worn out already i dont know how that could happen so fast though

Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,052 Likes on 557 Posts

Long bed or short bed? If long bed is the carrier bearing good?

I do agree with Bryce sounds like DW.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

shortbox

Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

Might want to check into getting a steering box brace. Also check the tie rods for any play and make sure the ball joints and track bar is torqued to spec. Maybe just a freak occurance.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

i hope its as easy as death wobble or something or something isnt torqued to spec. because right before this happened i was towing a trailer on the thruway for 4 hours with my truck and i would have probably flipped the tow behind generator over if that had happened with it hooked to back. i dropped the trailer off about 15 mins before this happened thank jesus.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

One more thing to check is the control arm bushings.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Diesel Enthusiast

should i have felt this in the steering wheel if it was death wobble. because i didnt feel it in the steering wheel at all. i dont know why but i am having such a hard time convincing myself that its death wobble. i feel like i broke something because i was beating on it too much

Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you hit the brakes at all? calipers tend to lock up at high speeds and will cause your truck to shake like crazy. This happend to my brothers duramax.

Quick Reply: O boy think i broke something not sure what!!