Diesel Bombers SIGN UP NOW

National Association of Diesel Motorsports
Go Back   Diesel Bombers > Dodge Cummins > 24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Registered Members don't see these ads. Register now it's free!

24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps

Welcome to Diesel Bombers Forums!
Welcome to DieselBombers .com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Diesel Bombers Forums community today!

I had some questions on why my truck wont charge i replaced pcm cause i heard they are famaous for the external voltage regulator problems and its still not charging it threw a crankshaft code and im not sure if that would mess with the ... JOIN NOW TO REMOVE TRACER

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM
Diesel Fan

Default truck not charging when on

I had some questions on why my truck wont charge i replaced pcm cause i heard they are famaous for the external voltage regulator problems and its still not charging it threw a crankshaft code and im not sure if that would mess with the charging please help!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Have you put a multi-meter on the battery when running to check voltage? Or are you just looking at the guage?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Diesel Fan

Its reading 11.3 when running but the gauge in the cluster has no volts
Old 11-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Since you have already thrown a PCM at I would imagine we can eliminate it, I would have been more inclined to put an alternator on it, that would be my suggestion. Worst case scenario take it to one of the auto parts stores that test them and have it tested before you buy a new one.
Good Luck!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:54 PM
Diesel Bomber
Status: Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly.........

View Member's Albums

Could also be your external voltage regulator.......

Bigg Redd's Sig:Red 2006 Dodge CTD, 3500 Dually, Auto, Mag-Hytech Trans pan, 3.73, Kitty MIA, AFE 4" TBE, 4" Aero Turbine, Torque Tube, BHAF, CAI, Quadzilla MMM, Boost Fooler, CXR Intake, CoolingMist Wtr/Meth Kit, EGT-Boost-Trans gauges, Turbo & Exh manifold Blanket.
Black 1994 Chevy Ext-Cab Dually, Lowered, 4L80E, 4.10, Lysholm Supercharged 461 Big Block, loud *** exhaust, CoolingMist Wtr/Meth Kit. "Suckin gas & Haulin ***!"
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Voltage regulator is built into the PCM as far as I know. In any event test the alternator as starting point.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Diesel Fan

I have a new alt in it and had it checked and the voltage regulator is in the pcm and i just changed the crankshaft positioning sensor but ive heard about people eliminating the voltage problem by puting a ford external voltage regulator i just dont know what i need or how to do that so i tryed everything else i could think of
Old 11-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by talan707 View Post
I have a new alt in it and had it checked and the voltage regulator is in the pcm and i just changed the crankshaft positioning sensor but ive heard about people eliminating the voltage problem by puting a ford external voltage regulator i just dont know what i need or how to do that so i tryed everything else i could think of
Okay you didn't mention the alternator before. Is the PCM remanufactured or junk yard?

Last edited by bg71361; 11-12-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Diesel Fan

The pcm is a reman

submit to reddit