24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

MAIN SEAL LEAK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAIN SEAL LEAK!!!

hey guys just got back from checking out a truck looking at buying. Ok its a 2001 QcLb Auto 198000 miles. It has a 4" turbo back exhaust Fass fuel pump k&n intake, Edge Ez chip, boost gauge, egt gauge fuel pres gauge, ugraded fuel pump that i couldnt see the name of, and A built tranny, soo i drove it WOT ran great it, shifted great, got back checked the block, Its a 55, checked the blow by (which was none) checked oil and tranny fluid, NOW i noticed a oil leak dripping kinda slowly on the ground looked and i i belive its comming from the main seal. It looks like it is litterally right in the middle of it on the bottom, once it cooled down it slowed the leak to almost none. I really like the truck its got some rust and seats torn i offerd 8000, now i plan on getting all the body work done on it (no more rust) but im concerned about this main seal leak, should i be worryied how much to fix???????????? my dad worked at cummins for 25 years so i kinda have a little bit of a hook up there, but just wondering if this is a big deal or not. and what is all involved in the fix :confused013: you guys are pros ive learned ALOT on here so im great full for any comments to help me out :thumbsup:

Old 11-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You gotta drop the transmission to get to the rear main. From there it's pretty easy and cheap. Depending on 2 or 4 wheel drive. Probably $500?

But then where do you stop? New torque converter?

Old 11-03-2012, 12:58 PM

4x4 dropping the tranny can't be that easy tho ?? I've never done it

Old 11-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Mine had a leak similar to what you are describing. It was the oil pan gasket $30. If you have an engine hoist it is an easy fix. You just have to loosen the motor mounts, take the fan shroud off the brackets, and lift the engine just enough for the pan to clear the pickup tube. Hardest part of it is getting the old gasket off.

---AutoMerged DoublePost---

One thing I noticed after replacing my gasket is that the oil doesn't seem turn black as fast. Maybe just my imagination though.

Last edited by Bryce; 11-03-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-03-2012, 04:33 PM

Was your leak like dead center of main seal? I think its where its coming from but how can I be sure.? Thanks man

Old 11-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes. It seemed to be dripping from in between the oil pan and the bell housing. Sometimes even dripped off the bell housing.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:54 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

If the rear main was going/gone, I'd like to think it would leak more from inside the bell housing.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

take the inspection cover off if its a auto and look and yes you have to take tranny out ive done em where i took the tranny and transfercase out all together, its really not that hard i just took my oil pan off bc the toner ring came off crank and got mangled, just liek btyce said to remove oil pan

Old 11-04-2012, 01:40 AM
Diesel Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds similar to what mine started to do, only mine was a few drops here and there after a long drive. I crawled under the truck with my torque wench and made sure the bolts on the pan were tight, and it turns out a few were a tad loose, mainly the ones across the back of the pan. I tightened them all up back to spec, IIRC 18ft-lbs and 5K later, no leaks.

These engines shake and rattle quite a bit, not uncommon for the oil pan bolts to come loose. Hope its that simple for you.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyDog
Sounds similar to what mine started to do, only mine was a few drops here and there after a long drive. I crawled under the truck with my torque wench and made sure the bolts on the pan were tight, and it turns out a few were a tad loose, mainly the ones across the back of the pan. I tightened them all up back to spec, IIRC 18ft-lbs and 5K later, no leaks.

These engines shake and rattle quite a bit, not uncommon for the oil pan bolts to come loose. Hope its that simple for you.

yea or your bolts holding the toner ring rattling loose

Quick Reply: MAIN SEAL LEAK!!!