24 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 98.5-02 Discussion of 24 Valve 5.9 Liter Dodge Cummins Diesels with VP44 Injection Pumps
Sponsored by Trailer Plus

Dim headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Diesel Fan
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dim headlights

I traded my 01 Wrangler for an 01 Cummins. Everything seemed fine with the truck minus the front main leak, which should now be fixed. Just giving the RTV or whatever its called that came in the TST dowel pin fix kit 24 hours to dry.
Long story short, on the drive across Colorado after making the trade, the time came to need headlights and they were so dim I couldn't drive. They do look dirty and I plan on starting with a restoration kit and new bulbs, but I have found evidence that the previous owner attempted this already.
If that doesn't work; where should I start in solving this problem? My deer season starts Saturday and my dad goes in for surgery next week, so I really need to get this beast up and running; that's why I kinda posted in advance.

Brights are slightly brighter but not by much. the truck is an 01, auto, intake, chip (turned off), 4 inch turbo back exhaust. The previous owner let a lot of oil build up from the leak and the blow by, so I wonder if this has anything to do with it? I was electrocuted as kid () so I never played with electricity again, and now don't know anything about wiring.

Thanks for any help
This site rocks! couldnt have fixed that leak or killed the kdp without all the info

Last edited by smokybob; 10-18-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:14 PM
RAW
Administrator

Received 684 Likes on 549 Posts

Glad you like the site so far!

I had original lights on my truck when I got it, and they sucked, plain and simple. I bought another set of aftermarkets, and they were a bit better. Then, mostly for looks, I bought a set from Anzo. WAAAYYYYYY better than the original, or the other aftermarkets I had before. Brighter, better light distribution, and look better as well.

Our trucks lights are listed at the bottom of this page:

Anzo USA - Performance Lighting

The following users liked this post:
smokybob (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with RAW. Buying a set of anzos would be the best and easiest way to go. If you dont want to spend the money just yet you can wet sand the headlights. Start with 1000 grit sand until it feels smooth (keep it wet). Its going to look like you made it worse but will be crystal clear after the final step. Switch to 2000 grit sand some more (keep it wet). Dry the lights off and use rubbing compound on them (same stuff you use on car paint). Then use polish compound (same stuff you use on car paint). Then use the sealer from your headlight kit or regular car wax. You'll spend about 6hrs doing this and your arms will feel like they're going to fall off but it will clear up the lights better than just using the headlight kit. It also wont last very long. A year at most and you will be doing it again.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Diesel Fan

thanks for the info. It looks like the PO tried something like that before. I found a silvan bulb and some fine sandpaper in the drivers door, plus when I looked at the lights closely there were definitely some fine scratches all over them. As much as he half everything else it may be worth a try. Hope the thought of my truck looking like my buddies BMW hasn't already sold a pair of Anzo lights haha

Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

The anzo lights are good lights and worth the investment once I get the money I will be purchasing a set but I did this in the mean time, hooked up these to my brights!! can see for quite the distance now... And since you live in colorado this should be legal for highway use but not city use...

Name:  Hella500FFLights002_zpsb9e344b7.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  186.5 KB

Old 10-19-2012, 12:09 AM
Diesel Fan

AH MAN! reminded me how mad I was when I traded my 100 watt KC lights with the jeep to find out I practically had no lights. what brand of lights are those ranchhand?

Old 01-18-2013, 01:48 AM
Diesel Bomber
Received 114 Likes on 106 Posts

They are Hella 500FF driving lights and I love em, I dont know why this post did not pop up in my suscribed sorry man !!!

Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 AM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i got 4 fog lights off snappy turtlw on ebay for 78 bucks they work good i like em!

but i hadthe same problem with dim lights they had the wrong blubs in it the right plug in but wrong bulbs!!! check it

Last edited by blacksally; 01-18-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Diesel Bomber
Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RAW
Our trucks lights are listed at the bottom of this page:

Anzo USA - Performance Lighting

Whoops, our bad...

The page you requested was not found, and we have a fine guess why.

If you typed the URL directly, please make sure the spelling is correct.
If you clicked on a link to get here, the link is outdated.
God dammit.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Diesel Enthusiast
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RanchhandTCR
The anzo lights are good lights and worth the investment once I get the money I will be purchasing a set but I did this in the mean time, hooked up these to my brights!! can see for quite the distance now... And since you live in colorado this should be legal for highway use but not city use...

Will these lights fit onto a stock bumper?

Quick Reply: Dim headlights